6th Year

Summer Holidays

"Step up! Step up! We've got Fainting Fancies! Nosebleed Nougats! And just in time for school...Puking Pastilles!" The Weasley twins yelled.

I was in Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes with the trio, looking around in the twins' joke shop.

I bought a few chunks of Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder, it would be useful if I needed a getaway.

"Hermione! Ginny! Over here!" I called to them and gestured at small bottles of Love Potions. They ran to me and picked up the bottles.

"Hello, ladies." The twins said in unison.

"Love potions, eh?" George said.

"Yeah, they really do work," Fred added.

"Then again, the way we hear it, sis, you're doing just fine on your own." Fred teased.

"Meaning?" Ginny asked suspiciously.

"Are you not currently dating Dean Thomas?" George asked.

"It's none of your business." Ginny replied coldly, turning away.

Hermione saw Cormac Mclaggen eyeing her up and down and pulled me away.

"Likes you, doesn't he?" I asked her.

Hermione rolled her eyes and said, "He's vile and disgusting."

"He's not too bad looking though." I said, looking at Mclaggen.

"How much for this?" I heard Ron's voice come from the staircase.

"Five Galleons." The twins answered.

"How much for me?" Ron corrected himself.

"Five Galleons."

"I'm your brother." Ron persisted.

The twins shrugged and said, "Ten Galleons."

Ron's face fell and he scowled at his brothers. I laughed and handed him some money to buy what he wanted.

-----------------------------------------

"Come on, let's go." Ron said to us after we finished shopping.

"Hi, Ron." Lavender Brown greeted, looking very nervous.

"Uh...Hi." Ron said, equally nervous.

We walked out of the shop and into the streets of Diagon Alley. Well, what was once Diagon Alley. It was now a ghost town, windows were shattered or boarded up, shops were empty. And to think that it was once the most popular Wizarding street.

"How are Fred and George doing it? Half the Alley's closed down." Hermione said, looking around at the deserted street.

"Fred reckons people need a laugh these days." Ron answered.

"I reckon he's right," Harry said.

"Oh no." Hermione gasped when we walked in front of Ollivander's. "Everyone got their wands from Ollivander's."

Harry pushed open the door and peered inside. We all followed him into the shop and looked around.

"Harry? Is it me, or do Draco and Mummy look like two people who don't want to be followed?" Ron asked, looking out of the window.

My ears pricked up hearing Draco's name being mentioned. I went over to the window to look and Narcissa and Draco were indeed skulking in the street.

"They're headed to Knockturn Alley," I whispered.

Harry nodded and started trailing the two Malfoys, the rest of us followed suit. We followed them through the dark and shady alley, all the way to Borgin and Burkes. We climbed onto a rooftop to get a better view.

The Malfoys entered, joined by other Death Eaters. They seemed to be taking an interest in the Vanishing Cabinet. Before we could see anymore of what was happening, a werewolf named Fenrir Greyback turned around, making us duck immediately.

When we tried to peek into the shop again, the curtains were shut tight.

-----------------------------------------

I sat in the Slytherin area on the train, it wasn't a private compartment this time, just tables in sections.

Where the hell were you Draco?

Finally Draco arrived, wearing a black suit as always with a serpent pin on his tie. He came and sat next to me, kissing me on the lips half-heartedly.

"I missed you," I said quietly.

"Missed you too." Draco said coolly.

Pansy and Blaise came and sat at the same table as us.

The entire Slytherin train carriage went dark suddenly. The thick black smoke disappeared as fast as it appeared.

Draco stood up and looked around. "What was that? Blaise?" Draco asked, sounding very paranoid.

"Don't know." Blaise said.

"Relax, boys. It's probably just a first-year messing around. Come on, Draco. sit down. We'll be at Hogwarts soon." Pansy said.

Draco looked around one last time and sat back down beside me.

"Hogwarts. What a pathetic excuse for a school. Think I'd pitch myself off the Astronomy Tower before I have to continue for another two years." Draco said, his voice filled with venom and hatred.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Pansy asked worriedly.

What's Draco talking about?

"Let's just say I don't think you'll see me wasting my time in Charms class next year." Draco answered bitterly.

Blaise suppressed a laugh.

"Amused, Blaise? We'll see just who's laughing in the end." Draco said scornfully.

With that said, Draco let me lay my head in his lap for the rest of the ride to Hogwarts, stroking my hair idly.

-----------------------------------------

Draco walked in a little late to the feast, looking deep in thought. He sat at his usual seat next to me, not saying a word though.

"Very best of evenings to you all. First off, let me introduce the newest member of our staff...Horace Slughorn. Professor Slughorn, I'm happy to say has agreed to resume his old post as Potions Master. Meanwhile the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts will be taken by Professor Snape." Dumbledore announced.

Only the Slytherins clapped wildly for Snape, the other houses all looked sullen at the news. Draco however, was still in deep thought and didn't clap.

"Now, as you know, each and every one of you was searched upon your arrival here tonight. And you have the right to know why. Once there was a young man, who, like you sat in this very hall...walked this castle's corridors, slept under its roof. He seemed to all the world a student like any other. His name? Tom Riddle."

Everyone began murmuring to each other.

"Today, of course, he's known all over the world by another name. Which is why, as I stand looking out upon you all tonight, I'm reminded of a sobering fact. Every day, every hour, this very minute perhaps...dark forces attempt to penetrate this castle's walls. But in the end, their greatest weapon is you. Just something to think about. Now off to bed. Pip-pip." Dumbledore finally finished his speech.

"Draco, you coming?" I asked him as everyone began leaving the hall.

"In a minute." He said, looking very depressed.

Something's bothering him, and I'm going to find out what.