Chapter 3: Ground Rules

I'm so glad that's over.

That was possibly the most awkward interview I have ever had, and the guy was so rude! I was so close to telling him to shove it up his ass and walk out, but I held back. I could have been just as rude back if I didn't need the job. I suppose a good thing is if I was successful then I wouldn't see much of him anyway. Maybe he's not always like that? I know how hard it is being a single parent because my mom is one, and I get he works a lot, but that doesn't mean he can talk to people like crap, especially someone he might potentially hire because now I don't feel good about the job. He must have a lot of people to consider though, people with more experience and qualifications so I'll wait and see. I don't think he was that impressed with me, but then again it was hard to read him.

****

I take out the shopping bags from my car and try to juggle everything in to the house.

"Hey mama." I say through a little moan from the heavy bags.

"Hey." She turns her head looking over at me from the sofa.

I run in to the kitchen and quickly put the bags on the table before my fingers fall off.

I sigh and walk back over to her.

"Have you been ok?" I ask.

"Yeah, fine." She nods.

"I just got some shopping, and I got your prescription."

"Thank you. How was your interview?"

"Ummm..." I make a face. "I've had better..."

"Oh." My mom frowns. "What happened?"

"The guy was an asshole."

"Ness." My mom laughs softly.

"It's fine. I have other job interviews lined up. I'll get something." I show a little smile.

"It was that bad?" She asks.

"Not too bad... I just don't think he liked me."

"Is he blind?"

I laugh and shake my head.

"I knew it was a long shot anyway, but at least I tried."

"Maybe it didn't go as bad as you think?"

"Maybe." I shrug. "Have you eaten anything?"

"Ash made me some lunch earlier."

"Where is he now?"

"Upstairs on his computer." My mom says, trying to stand up from the sofa.

I quickly go by her side and help her up carefully.

"I'll start dinner." I show a little smile.

I help her in to the kitchen and give her her meds before I start cooking.

****

I dish dinner up and set the table. Ashton comes running down the stairs, probably because he can smell food, and walks in to the kitchen.

"Did you make it to your interview?" He smirks and sits down at the table.

"Yes." I give him a look as I place down the plates of food.

"What does he mean?" My mom asks, looking at me as I sit down.

"My car wouldn't start again this morning." I make a face. "Ashton thought it was hilarious." I take a mouthful of food and glare at him.

"I was only having a laugh." He shrugs and digs in to his food. "You really need a new car."

"Oh, yeah? I don't suppose you have any money lying around that I could borrow to buy myself a new car?"