Chapter 67

This chapter is dedicated to Tipper. @bella12e3 's cat.

Ryland's POV
The car ride was really awkward. No one talked during the entire journey. Quinton remained on his phone smiling everyone second. How could he smile when Nick was hurt. After the silence a small ding awoke me from my silent slumber. Nick. My breath hitched. It was a voice recording. I took a deep breath bracing myself for what I was about to hear from the other side of the phone. Quinton has just looked up from his and looked questioningly at my phone. Clicked the play button I immediate looked straight ahead at the road in an attempt to hide any of my emotions from Quinton.
"Ry hurry please" I heard a shaky voice say.
"I'm coming Nicky" I whisper fully aware that he can't hear me.
The next few minutes of the voice message had me in tears. My eyes started clouding up and I wiped my eyes trying to keep my eyes on the road. I look over to my right and see Quinton his eyes slightly watery but no tears were evident. I heard screams and cries coming from the phone. As I ended I heard a small voice speak.
"Please".
After miserable silence, I pull up at Nick's old house. Quinton behind me and we walk towards the door. I burst in breaking the door down with my feet. I see a body on the floor. Running towards it I turn the body over looking at the blood covered face. Nick's mum. I rush to her wrist to check her pulse but there was no one. I turned around behind me to see Quinton flashing me an apologetic smile. I run down the stairs trying not to make a lot of noise so that I wouldn't alert Nick's dad. I walked passed a room with loud snores coming from it. I looked into the room that had the door wide open. Asleep on the bed was Nick's dad with a bottle of beer still in his hand. Creeping past as quiet as I could, I made my way towards the basement, Quinton still following behind me like a lost puppy. I heard cries and whimpers getting louder and louder as I neared the basement. Nick. He was on the floor unclothed and covered in blood. I ran towards him and engulfed him in a hug as I saw Quinton smiling from the door.
"I'm sorry" I say as he cries into my chest.