ELEVENTH.

Third Person's POV

When Donghyuck and Yena heard the front doors of the house close, the boy sighed in exasperation and dropped his head on the counter. Yena just stared at him, wondering what's suddenly bothering him.

"Yena," He called her and she raised a brow at him while sipping her drink. "Ever since Eunice got home from the ball, she's acting very unlikely of her," He raised his head and looked at the girl. "Don't you think so?"

Donghyuck's not wrong. It's like something was switched on or off inside Eunice. She's behaving differently than before. She wasn't mostly greedy or desperate but it's completely different regarding those glass slippers and becoming the prince's wife.

"Her reaction to someone dying before is sadness, but I don't understand why she doesn't feel that way to Jewel. She can even forgive her step family a million times for treating her unfairly, and that's everyday." Yena added.

She got worried when Hyuck started to play with his fingers. His eyebrows were obviously creased, making his forehead wrinkle a little. She sat across him, took one of his hands and rubbed it to calm him down. "Hey, you can tell me what's disturbing you."

He started nibbling on his lower lip and cracking the joints in his fingers. "I'm just worried about what will happen to Eunice if she keeps this up. It's.. It's becoming an unhealthy obsession. I know Jewel is just the first victim but it's going to get dirty if there would be a next girl and the Duke would continue to choose the wrong maiden."

Yena was a bit shocked of how advanced Hyuck's mind works. He already counted the possibilities that may happen and it made her become more worried about him. What if he overthinks so much it would lead him to be paranoid about every little thing?

She placed her mug down and with both hands, held his and massaged them. "I know that, too, Hyuck. But maybe we can do something about it." He shook his head and let out a little whine. "But how do we change Eunice? We don't even have the guts to convince her to stop listening to Skylar. And we can't just let someone change themselves just because we need to."

Clicking her tongue, she slightly pinched his pinky and it caused for Donghyuck to say 'ow'. "I didn't say anything about altering Eunice's personality. I'm talking about the events. What if we prevent it from happening?" She said and was hoping he would get the idea.

Hyuck stared at the contents of his mug for a few seconds before his eyes sparkled in realization. Yena sighed in relief. He got the sign after all. "You meant by we convince the next chosen girl to give up the slippers and let the royal court know that it's really Eunice?"

She smiled and nodded. "Exactly. We can save them from being killed by those shoes and can make Eunice the prince's bride without any more deaths." Hyuck stood up from his stool and suddenly hugged Yena, which caught her by surprise. "You're a genius, Yena!"

"Mmh, Lee Donghyuck, I can't.. b-breathe—" He finally pulled away and she was able to catch her breath. The boy grinned sheepishly. "Sorry." She just chuckled and waved her hand. "It's okay. We have to wait till Eunice comes back, though. If she comes back. You don't mind, right?"

He shook his head. "Of course not. I'm patient.. unlike her." He said and suddenly looked down again. Yena grabbed his hand and constantly pressed it. "I'm not sure but I hope we could still save the Eunice we used to know." She muttered and glanced at Hyuck's hand that she was playing with.

"You're right," Donghyuck looked at Yena and smirked. "You're unusually kind today." She quickly twisted his arm and put it behind him then pinned him to the ball, his back facing her. "You were being such a crybaby. I needed to calm you down or else you will throw a tantrum."