TWENTY FIRST.

Third Person's POV

Driven by guilt from Haddeline's demise, Jaemin was having trouble on making himself fall asleep. After what happened, he immediately called the guards and told them to put her in a coffin then bury her in the royal cemetery. He didn't know why but he blamed himself.

He was already there in her room yet he was too immersed in his own thoughts that he didn't act quickly to help her. She was struggling right in front of him and he just stood there, wasting the last seconds in which he could have helped.

Jaemin probably didn't even sleep. He was only on his bed, his back pressed against his pillows while he stared at the wall across him. He never felt so hopeless and guilty before. He knew he should have done something. It's already five in the morning but he was still mad at his subconscious.

Now that he thought about it, he shouldn't have doubted Donghyuck and Yena. He knew they were telling the truth. It was in his guts yet he didn't trust it and let the same thing happen again.

Doyoung noticed how the prince reacted to Haddeline's death earlier that day so he decided not to disturb him and let him be in his own small world. All of his plans and his entire schedule was instantly cancelled. Even though it was Jaemin's burden to carry alone, the whole castle did as well, including his parents, the King and Queen.

They checked on their son every now and then to see if he's okay. The Queen tried to comfort him but Jaemin only said, "Please, not now, Mother. I want to be alone." The King gave a nod to his wife and before leaving his chambers, she kissed her son's forehead to assure him that everything is going to be alright.

For the nth time this morning, Jaemin ran his fingers through his hair again and sighed. Though the two of them only spent a few hours with each other, he considered Haddeline as a good companion. She was entertaining and fun to be with but only to the extent of being friends.

There's so much the world has in store for her but he blew it.. just because he didn't remove the slippers in time. She should still be alive right now, reading her favorite book that Jaemin allowed her to borrow. She should have been sipping her tea on the balcony in the guest room but it's impossible now.

Deep inside, he knew it wasn't exactly his fault, but he feels so saddened that it made him look like the criminal. It's the slippers' fault, Jaemin, he told himself countless of times. It's not your fault. You were only wrong about being desperate of finding that mysterious girl.

How many lives would be wasted if he continues on with his search? He doesn't want to see one of them die anymore. Haddeline was the fifth and last straw for him. He can't bare to see another life lost just because they wore the wrong foot wear. Oh, how he wished magic never existed.

He forced himself up on his feet and with disheveled hair, pajamas and bags under his eyes, headed to the dining room to eat breakfast. Perhaps his parents are already done consuming their share so he would have the whole room on his own.

Jaemin passed by his butler who greeted him a morning, specifically no 'good' included. The prince descended the staircase and walked to the said room barefoot. Dressing up like this, he remembered his five-year-old self. He used to do this everyday until he turned eight.

He stopped the guards from opening the door for him and did it himself. The dishes that were already placed on the long table smelled appetizing and delicious but Jaemin was only there to fill his stomach with something so his parents wouldn't get worried.

Sitting on his usual chair, he started to eat alone. It didn't make him sadder than before and instead, he liked the silence. But he then realized this silence was all over the palace.. because of him. Because of his irrational decisions. Because of his want to see the mysterious girl again.