PROLOGUE.

"Eunice, where are you? The laundry is waiting!"

"You did not do justice to my nails! Eunice, get back here!"

"Where is breakfast?!"

"Coming!" I replied as loud as I could and placed Mother's tray on top of my head while I carried my stepsisters' on my palm. I exited the kitchen and went up the stairs and into their rooms.

Thankfully, Davina's door is slightly opened and I don't have to turn the door knob. I slowly went inside and Davina greeted me with her rant about waiting breakfast for minutes and also the fact I accidentally painted a small portion of her finger with nail paint.

"Here is your breakfast." I said timidly but tried not to make it obvious. She gobbled up her food without thanking me and I then proceeded to give Anallina her share.

I opened her door and was greeted by the sight of her pushing all her dirty clothes in one laundry basket. I placed her tray on her bedside table while she nagged that I took longer than usual.

I ignored it and picked up the basket and made my way to Mother's bedroom. I let the basket sit outside her room for a while and entered the room with the tray on my hand.

While striding next to her, she said, "I heard the commotion of your sisters, Eunice." I placed her tray on the table and bowed slightly. "I was a few seconds late, Mother."

"Hmm, I see," Her gray cat Lucifer jumped on her lap and she ran her fingers on his fur. "You may leave now." I did another curtsey and left the room, closing it.

I picked up the basket and went downstairs to the laundry room when I heard a loud knock on the front doors. "Who could it be?" I asked myself and dropped the laundry basket near the stairs.

I approached the doors and turned their knobs, opening it widely after. My eyes widened in surprise when I saw the Grand Duke. "Oh, sir," I exclaimed in surprise and immediately bowed.

"Oh, please, young lady. I only want you to accept this letter. Thank you!" He tilted his hat towards me and boarded the carriage that was waiting for him. Off they went with me holding a golden-colored letter.

Curious as I am, I have to give it to Mother first, so I went back upstairs and went to her bedroom after knocking. "What is it this time, Eunice?" She scowled right after taking a sip of her jasmine tea.

I held out the letter to her. "The Grand Duke just dropped by and gave me this." She opened it as carefully as she could and read the letter aloud. My eyes were even wider than when I saw the Duke after listening to its contents.

"A royal ball! How delightful!"

And that is how my life took a turn.

•••

glass slippers
[na jaemin]

©DONGHYUQUE