Chapter 6: Marionette

Mari: A French variation of Mary. Also, the name of that irresistibly mysterious girl whom you see around often, yet know nothing about.
Snoring. That usually means that someone is sleeping soundly...sleeping soundly..."WAKE UP!" yelled Mari's alarm clock. "Fine, I will," she reached her hand out and pressed the off button, then crawled out of bed and over to her closet. She chose some black yoga pants and a 3 buttoned black hooded sweatshirt. She absolutely loved the color black, if you couldn't already tell. She chose some black buckled high heeled boots, then went over to her dresser. Mari searched her dresser drawers until she had found what she was looking for. She picked up her mask that she always wore. The mask was completely white, other than the painted purple tear streaks, red rosy cheeks, and red lips that were on the mask. She sighed, & walked upstairs to the kitchen. Her dad was making scrambled eggs, and her mom was busy trying to feed her 2 year old brother, who couldn't talk, even though he was the right age to be able to do so. Mari could tell that her mom was starting to get tired of him. She folded her arms. "Well, it's obvious that you aren't succeeding with feeding the little puppet, aren't cha?" Her mom turned around to face her. "Now don't call your little brother a puppet. He has a name you know," her mom said with a stern look on her face. Mari sighed. She walked over to her brother and bent down to kiss him on the head. "I love you, Mario." Mario looked up at her and smiled weakly, which was his way of saying, 'I love you, too.' Mari swiped a piece of toast off of the counter and started nibbling on it while she headed for the door. She pulled her mask out of her handbag. Her mom sighed. "Mari, honey, do you really have to wear that old thing to school? It's your first day and all." Mari turned to face her. "Mom, you know how you're supposed to have confidence about meeting other people and making friends, and to not be ashamed of who you are?" She pulled the mask onto her face and opened the door. "I don't have it." And with that, she left for school.