Chapter 13: Dilemma in Inkopolis Square

~Art isn't mine~

"We need to talk to him, he seems like he needs to talk about it," Hachi spoke.

"I don't think he wants to talk about it," I said.

"Well, we can only try," Hachi said with determination.

I felt Hachi grab my wrist and drag me to the Square.

"What are you doing?!" I asked, trying to keep up with him.

"We are gonna talk to him!" Hachi smiled.

I sighed knowing that we were going to do so even if I opposed. He continued to drag me along the path he was taking. In the distance, we heard arguing.

"Is that Ray's voice?" Hachi said as I dusted myself off.

"Yeah it is!" I said as I listened to the argument.

We rushed over to see a crowd of Inklings and Octolings in a crowded circle. Hachi and I manage to squeeze through the crowd to see Ray and the Inkling from before, a female inkling with long tentacles and a female octo with her tentacles in a ponytail. Hachi looks at me on the verge of tears. Yet they look like a different type of tears. Tears of anger. We looked over once more and Ray looked exhausted, mentally drained.

"Psh, look at him! Can barely stand!" The octo smirked.

"Look, I just want to be left alone. You've already done enough damage." Ray said, holding his head.

"He looks like.... ah, I can't put my finger on it..." Hachi analized.

"He's holding back, I know that look.. I know that feeling." I replied, answering his question.

Ray's jacket was still in his shoulder but was yanked off by the female inkling, leaving him in his grayish black shirt. Ray was about to grab it back but was pushed by the male.

"How about we take your headgear? That would be fun~" the female inkling snickered.

The two agreed and began to walk to Ray. He looked angered. He got up and shoved the male into the girl causing them to fall. The Octo looked at Ray with disgust and helped her group.

"You will not bully me anymore. I won't have it!" Ray yelled at the three.

All three were shocked but laughed after.

"Really?! Last time you said that we put you in your place. And I'm pretty sure you have the scars still." The male laughed.

"Oh boy, here is Ray saying that he'll over power the three of us when he can't even handle a bit of tough love." The girl inkling snarked.

I can see Ray's blood boiling and how he's trying not to go X rank on them.

"Fine let's settle this! Your team versus my team." The male inkling smirked.

"You and I don't have enough members." Ray stated.

The female Octo grabbed his jacket from the inkling.

"Scarlett... please give it back." Ray said with venom dripping of his words.

"Then agree to our turf match! Or are you scared?" She snickered.

"And we have a few rules for you Ray.... no headgear that covers your face entirely. So no forge mask, masks in general." The male inkling spoke.

Ray looked nervous. He looked at the group surrounding them with nervousness and anger.

"You and I don't have full teams...." he said with more anger.

Without thinking I stepped up next to Ray.

"Y/n!" Hachi whisper-yelled.

"Don't think I'll pass up your offer Ray." I smirked.

Ray smirked through his mask and looked at his rivals. I did the same.

"I'll call the rest of my team, meet us at the lobby in an hour." Ray said with confidence.

"Grr.... you! Octo!" The inkling pointed.

Ray and I looked at where he was pointing and it was straight at hachi. His face went pale.

"M-Me?"

"Yes, you are now a part of my team for this war." He spoke as the female inkling grabbed him.

I gritted my teeth at this. I was about to say something until Ray stepped in.

"Does he even want to do this? He didn't even volunteer." Ray said.

"Well, if he doesn't agree we might get upset.." he said with a sinister smirk.

Ray's eyes grew a bit. He marched up to the inkling and looked at him in the eyes with no fear.

"You won't do squit. Not while I'm here with him." Ray spoke with a rough tone.

"Oh why so protective?" He asked with snark.

"He's my brother." Ray said with anger.

'HE'S HIS BROTHER?!'

"Don't think about doing anything to him." Ray spat and took Hachi by his hand.

The next thing shocked everyone. That male inkling punched Ray in the face. Ray pulled Hachi towards me and looked at the inkling.

"Jean, that is enough. Meet me here in an hour with your team and we will settle it that way." Ray said with teal blood dripping out of his mask.

"You better hope you'll win because if you don't, let's just say it will be fun for us." Scarlett smirked and threw his jacket on the floor by his feet.

The three left and it was just us in the middle of the circle.

"What do you want?! Leave! If you want to watch the match then leave!" Ray yelled, blood still dripping out of his mask.

The group left, leaving us in the middle of the plaza. Ray kneeled down next to Hachi and I.

"You didn't have to do that Y/n. I know you didn't want to join-"

"Ray, I'm happy to join your team. Let's beat them and claim victory." I said with a determined smirk.

Ray nodded and looked at Hachi.

"Why? Why did you say that?" Hachi asked with tears in his eyes.

"I-I'm sorry Hachi.. it was just spur of the moment." Ray said rubbing his back.

"I didn't know you guys were related." I said sitting next to Hachi. Hachi then hugged me.

"We aren't. I said that because Hachi is a friend. And all my friends are family." Ray said and stood up.

"R-Ray, I was gonna say yes! I was scared." Hachi spoke.

"It's okay Hachi, I know you were. That's why I stepped in." Ray said in a somewhat cheery tone.

"Ray you have some blood leaking." I reminded him.

"Oh right.." Ray began to take off his mask revealing a bloody mess. Blood leaking out of his nose and it was smeared over his lower face due to the mask. He walked to the Crust Bucket and got some napkins to clean up. Once he came back he was saddened.

"What's wrong?" I asked.