chapter 4 sorting ceremony

*Amelias POV

Kat, Georgina, and I rushed off the train eager to catch a glimpse of the castle. "This must be Hogsmede" I say to my two friends. They nod in agreement. "First years over here," a familiar booming voice says. The three of us walk towards Hagrid, Georgina and Kat look at the giant timidly. "Millie there you are." I turn around to see Harry with that boy Ron from the train station. Relief washed over me, my brother didn't sit alone on the train. "Hi, Harry, you're Ron right?" The ginger boy blushed and responded with, "Yeah, I'm Ron Weasley." We shook hands, his face turned redder than his hair. I introduce Kat and Georgina to Harry and Ron. "It's nice to meet you guys." Kat says with a big smile and her even bigger distinct Scottish accent. Georgina shakes Harry's hand but just scrunches her nose at Ron. She turns around to start a conversation with a girl named Daphne Greengrass.

The group of first years followed Hagrid to the small rowboats that awaited us. "Four per a boat" Hagrid says. Kat, Georgina, and I board a boat with a pretty Chinese girl named Vivian Tang. "What houses do you guys want to be in." Vivian asked curiously. "I hope Slytherin but Ravenclaw," I responded. Kat and Georgina both said Slytherin. "My dad was a Hufflepuff but my mom was a Ravenclaw, so I'd be fine with either." Vivian said

My jaw dropped as the castle came into view, I felt a feeling that I'd never felt a before. I felt that I belonged, I had a home where I was embraced rather than pushed away. We reached the shore and were escorted into the castle by Hagrid. I couldn't stop looking, it was the most beautiful place I had ever seen. I even swore I saw one of the paintings move.

An older women with a stern face is waiting for us, "Welcome to Hogwarts. Now, in a few moments, you will pass through these doors and join your classmates. But before you can take your seats you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. Now, while you are here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you house points. Any rule breaking, and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup." Harry looks at me, "I hope we're in the same house." I nod in agreement.

A chubby boy runs to the front of the the group to grab his lost toad, Harry tells me his name is Neville. The witch looks down at him and continues speaking, "The sorting ceremony will begin momentarily"

Draco Malfoy steps forward toward my brother. "It's true then, what they're saying on the train. the Potters have come to Hogwarts. This is Crabbe, and Goyle and I'm Malfoy...DracoMalfoy." Ron snickers at his name. "Think my name's funny, do you? No need to ask yours. Red hair, and a hand me down robe? You must be a Weasley. You'll soon find that some wizarding families are better than others, Potter. Don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there"

"I think I can tell who the wrong sort are for myself, thanks." Harry responds. Draco glares at us, "From what I can tell Malfoy, I think Harry and I would be better off as far from you as possible." If looks could kill, I'd be long dead.

The witch returns and smacks Draco on the shoulder. "We're ready for you now." The large door opens and she leads us through the great hall. Theres's four long tables, each packed with kids wearing different colored robes. The tables must represent the four houses. "It's not real, the ceiling. It's just bewitched to look like the night sky. I read about it in Hogwarts: A History." A girl says to me. "I read that too, my names Amelia." I say to her. "And I'm Hermione Granger."

"All right, will you wait along here, please? Now, before we begin, Professor Dumbldedore would like to say a few words." An old man who must be Dumbledore rose from the main table."I have a few start of term notices I wish to announce. The first years please note that the dark forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch has asked me to remind you that the 3rd floor corridor on the right hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you." What type of school is this I think to myself.

McGonagall turns to us." When I call your name, you will come forth, I shall place the sorting hat on your head, and you will be sorted into your houses. Hermione Granger." She is placed in Gryffindor. Draco Malfoy is sorted into Slytherin before the hat barely even touches his head. Maybe I don't want to be in Slytherin if that means I have to be with him. Both Ron and Harry get Gryffindor, Georgina and Kat get Slytherin, and Vivian gets Ravenclaw. I await anxiously, Blaze Zabini, Lavender Brown, Dean Thomas, Seamus Finnigan, Padma and Parvati Patil, Hannah Abbott, Ernie Macmillian, Michael Corner, Lisa Turpin, Pansy Parkinson. As the names are listed the group dwindles, finally I hear "Amelia Potter"

I walked up to the stool and the sorting hat is placed on my head. "Hmmm very courageous like your brother you don't mind the spotlight that comes with being a Gryffindor. I see intelligence, you'd fit well in Ravenclaw. But so much ambition, I can see you pushing yourself and maybe even knocking others down in order to succeed. You'll thrive anywhere, but where does the young Potter belong." After what felt like an eternity of scanning the crowd looking at the familiar faces. The hat made his decision.

"Slytherin"