3.17

"He sent me this," Hermione said, holding out the letter. I took it. The parchment was damp, and enormous teardrops had smudged the ink so bad in places that it was very difficult to read.

Dear Hermione, We lost. I'm allowed to bring him back to Hogwarts. Execution date to be fixed. Beaky has enjoyed London. I won't forget all the help you gave us. Hagrid

"They can't do this," said Harry. "They can't. Buckbeak isn't dangerous." "I'm so sorry guys," I said. "Why are you apologizing, it's not your fault your boyfriend is a git," Ron said as he patted me earnestly. "He's not my boyfriend Ron," I put my head in hands, "I really did try, that slime ball used me. The only reason I would even consider going out with him was to save Buckbeak."

After class I was gossiping with Kat and Georgina about Daphne and Blaise when Malfoy walked into the common room swearing. "That filthy mudblood, she'll pay for that," he said to Crabbe and Goyle who were following closely. The three of us turned to look at him, without thinking the three of us burst into laughter. Malfoy's nose was covered in blood, "did Granger do that to you?" Georgina asked between laughs. Draco didn't respond, "you know I really don't like her, but I respect that." "Shut up Rosier," he said glaring at Georgina. "Maybe if you weren't such a git there wouldn't have been a reason for you to get punched," I said to Draco. He shook his head at me, "is this because I couldn't save that dumb bird ." I stood up angrily, "we had a promise Malfoy." He rolled his eyes, "you didn't fulfill your promise why should I?" Kat and Georgina looked at us confused.

"I went to Hogsmeade with you, what more did you want?" He walked closer, "I really wanted you, then I realized what a self-centered nightmare you were and decided I could do better." "You're calling me self centered, that's truly ironic." I ran up to my dorm before he could respond and collapsed onto my bed.

"Are you alright Millie," Kat said as she rubbed my back, "why are you crying Malfoy is always like that." "I think it's more than that," Georgina said as she sat on the other side of me. "Amelia," she said as she bent her head to look at me, "what is going on between you and Malfoy?" I sat up and told them the whole story, "I just don't know why I have feelings for him. I mean sometimes I think he wants to be with me and other times he's so rude and I think his only goal is to get under my skin." Kat looked at me shocked, Georgina however didn't look at all surprised. She probably knew all along.

The Easter holidays came but weren't exactly relaxing, we were pounded with homework and quidditch was getting tense as the match against Gryffindor was approaching. Kat who always had a good relationship with Draco had taken it upon herself to give him the silence treatment in solidarity with me. Draco and I's relationship was at it's lowest point, after I refused to accept his apology he turned cold towards me. We only ever talked at practice and that usually ended in a fight.

The morning of the match I sat with the Slytherin team at breakfast, Harry and the Gryffindor team walked in and the Huffelpuffs and Ravenclaws cheered. I rolled my eyes, Slytherin was always made out to be the bad guys. We went to the locker room and changed silently into our emerald colored robe.

we walked out onto the field to a tidal wave of noise. Three quarters of the crowd was wearing scarlet rosettes, waving scarlet flags with the Gryffindor lion upon them, or brandishing banners with slogans like "GO GRYFFINDOR!" and "LIONS FOR THE CUP." We look at each other and rolled our eyes. Behind the Slytherin goal posts, thankfully, two hundred people were wearing green; the silver serpent of Slythering littered on their flags, and Professor Snape sat in the very front row, wearing green like everyone else.

"And here come the Slytherin team, led by Captain Flint. He's made some changes in the lineup besides Potter and Malfoy, he seems to be going for size rather than skill —" Flint and Wood approached each other and grasped each other's hand very tightly; it looked ast hough each was trying to break the other's fingers. "Mount your brooms!" said Madam Hooch. "Three... two... one..."

The sound of her whistle was lost in the roar from the crowd as fourteen brooms rose into the air. I pulled on my braids nervously, this was a huge game for us. The game was aggressive and even Fred and George who were the Gryffindor beaters were trying to knock me off of my broom. The game was tight, each team's chasers were scoring constantly. At this rate, it was Draco vs Harry.

"Penalty! Penalty to Gryffindor! I've never seen such tactics." Madam Hooch screeched, shooting up to where Malfoy was sliding back onto his Nimbus Two Thousand and One, he was holding onto Harry's Firebolt. "YOU CHEATING SCUM!" Lee Jordan was howling into the megaphone, dancing out ofProfessor McGonagall's reach. "YOU FILTHY, CHEATING B —" I flew closer to Malfoy, "you know we can't risk giving them easy points from fouls." Draco rolled his eyes and flew in the opposite direction.

My heart sunk as I saw Draco and Harry diving towards the golden snitch, Draco was a good flyer but he was no match for Harry.

We had lost the quidditch cup, I angrily landed on the ground. The Slytherins were lurking on the outside of the celebrating clump. The seven players went to the locker room silently, "you know I'm really disappointed in you guys," Flint said to us. The room was silent, "I have nothing to say," he said in a disgusted tone.

Everyone cleared out, everyone besides Draco who was sitting on the bench not moving. "Everything alright Malfoy?" he looked up at me, his eyes filled with sorrow. "You know my father came to watch today," he said as he looked down at his hands. I took a seat next to him, "I'm sure he'll be really proud," Draco raised his eyebrows, "you just don't get it." I put my hand on his shoulder, "I know we've had our ups and downs, but you can talk to me." He pushed my hand off of his shoulder and slammed the locker shut. I winced with the loud noise, "Just save it Amelia, don't try and pity me." "Pity you?" I responded, "look I'm just trying to help and I'm really sorry your father puts a lot of pressure on you, but it's kinda hard to feel bad when I would do anything to even get the chance to experience something like that."

His eyes turned from anger to compassion, "your father would be the opposite of mine," Draco said as he moved a piece of hair from my face, "he'd be so proud of you Potter, I mean I hate to admit it but you're pretty brilliant." I looked up at his handsome face, was he being genuine? "You're ridiculously intelligent, everyone adores you for some reason, probably the best chaser Slytherin has, and not too shabby look wise," the last part Draco said under his breath. I could feel my face grow red, "well I should go study, exams are coming up and I have so much to do," I said quickly while trying to gather my stuff.

Draco touched my shoulder, "you know you don't have to be like this, we don't have to be either a couple or an item, we can be friends." I stopped before walking out of the door, "neither of us have the self control for that Malfoy."