3.4

* Amelia's POV

I got off the train and was soon hit with the cold and rain, "You should've worn a coat." Kennedy said to me, "Great observation," I responded. The five of us followed the rest of the school along the platform and out onto a rough mud track, where at least a hundred stagecoaches awaited the remaining students, each pulled by what I assume to be an invisible horses, because when they climbed inside and shut the door, the coach set off all by itself, bumping and swaying.

When we had all gotten into the carriage I said to my friends, "Say did any of you faint." They all shook their head, God why did I have to faint, thats bloody humiliating. As the carriage trundled toward Hogwarts' brilliant wrought iron gates, I felt even colder and shivers went up my spine. Kat noticed my shivering, "It's the dementors Mil." I looked up to se the dark figures looming above the entrance.

The carriage halted and we climbed out, "You fainted, Potter? Is Longbottorn telling the truth? You actually fainted?" I heard Malfoy, antagonizing Harry as usual. I started walking towards him, "Leave it, you can't make him stop." Georgina said holding my arm, "It's my brother G."

I tapped Draco on the shoulder, "Come on Malfoy, is there really nothing better to do and last time I checked Harry wasn't the one who screamed like a little girl." Ron laughed at that, "I'd listen to your girlfriend Malfoy." Draco turned to look at me, "Please we aren't even friends." What a bloody git, he really can't choose how he feels about me, or he just wants to keep his reputation of being a total arse.

"Is there a problem?" said a mild voice. Professor Lupin had just gotten out of the next carriage. Malfoy gave Professor Lupin an insolent stare, which took in the patches on his robes and thedilapidated suitcase. With a tiny hint of sarcasm in his voice, he said, "Oh, no — er —Professor," then he smirked at Crabbe and Goyle and led them up the steps into the castle.

"Come on Amelia, I'm starving." Kat said as she guided me to the doors of the castle. We entered the Great Hall and took our spots at the Slytherin table, Vivian and Gabby separated from us for the Ravenclaw table.

We watched the sorting of the first years, "Welcome!" said Dumbledore, the candlelight shimmering on his beard. "Welcome to anotheryear at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious, I thinkit best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast..." Dumbledore cleared his throat and continued, "As you will all be aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express, our school is presently playing host to some of the Dementors of Azkaban,who are here on Ministry of Magic business. "They are stationed at every entrance to the grounds," Dumbledore continued, "and while theyare with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave school without permission. Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises — or even Invisibility Cloaks," he added blandly,I looked at Harry and raised my eyebrows "It is not in the nature of a Dementor to understand pleading or excuses. I therefore warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. I look to the prefects, and our new Head Boy and Girl, to make sure that no student runs afoul of the Dementors, "On a happier note," he continued, "I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks this year. "First, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the DarkArts teacher." There were some unenthusiastic applauses for the new young teacher, Snape in particular did not look too happy.

"As to our second new appointment," Dumbledore continued as the lukewarm applause forProfessor Lupin died away. "Well, I am sorry to tell you that Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher, retired at the end of last year in order to enjoy more time with his remaining limbs. However, I am delighted to say that his place will be filled by none other than Rubeus Hagrid, who has agreed to take on this teaching job in addition to his game keeping duties." I clapped loudly, Kat and I seemed to be the only Slytherins doing so. Draco who was sitting in front of me rolled his eyes.

"Oh come on Draco lighten up." I said with a smirk, the smirk wasn't returned. After Dumbledore finished his long speech, the feast appeared. "Potter heard you passed out on the train," I turned to look at Pansy Parkinson she continued, " too bad you don't have a mommy to comfort you." Kat whispered in my ear, "Just ignore her." "I'd watch it Parkinson, Amelia would destroy your pig face in a duel if she had the chance" Pansy looked baffled at Draco, her eyes filled with tears. She returned to eating, "I don't need you defending me Malfoy, you said it yourself we aren't friends." Draco looked at me confused, I returned to my conversation with Kat and Georgina.

After the feast was over we went down to the dungeons toward the he Slytherin common room. "Potter wait up," Malfoy said as he reached for my arm. "We'll catch up later," Georgina said. The rest of the Slytherins went down the steps leaving it just me and Draco. "What is it Draco." "Why are you acting so dodgy, I thought you'd appreciate me standing up for you." I looked at him annoyed, "I should be appreciative, if anything I'm confused. Sometimes you act like a total git and other times we're mates.." Draco put his hands in his pockets awkwardly, "It's just you know how things are." "No Malfoy I don't enlighten me, are you trying to impress Crabbe or Goyle." He shifted his body towards me, "I just don't want anyone getting the wrong idea, I mean I don't want your brother to be pissed at you or that Wesley either." He stuck his hand out, "Friends?" I backed away from him, "Not until you make up your mind on whether you hate me or not."

I turned away from him down the corridor to the dungeons, "Merlin." The door to the common room swung open revealing the green tinted room. Kat and Georgina were sitting on the black leather. couch with Blaise Zabini and Miles Bletchley the keeper on the quidditch team.   I sat on the armchair, "What did Draco want?" Georgina asked me. I started explaining what happened but before I could finish, Draco entered the common room, glared at me and walked to the boys dormitory. "He's so sensitive," I said. Blaise laughed under his breath, "What do you think your laughing at." He continued laughing, "For being one if the smartest in our year you'd think you would pick up on all the signs." He looked at us and continued. "He's obviously quite taken with you." Miles perked up, "Yeah thats rubbish, Malfoy like most guys probably just noticed the slight body change this summer." I rolled my eyes, "Thats it, I'm going to bed."

I went to the girls dormitory, Kat and Georgina followed me. "Katttttt," Georgina said in a dreamy tone. "What" Kat and I said in sync. "Don't think I didn't notice you and Blaise being quite smitten" Georgina said as she brushed her long black hair. "Oh, don't make me laugh," Kat said as she put on her pajamas. "Blaise and Kat sitting in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G." I sang obnoxiously. Kat threw her pillow at me and Georgina was bending over with laughter. Even Millicent Bulstrode and Daphne Greengrass were laughing, but of course all fun has to end at some point. "Shut up will you, I need to sleep." Parkinson shrieked at us.

I climbed into my bed, Georgina whispered to me, "She needs all the beauty sleep she can get." I rolled on my stomach to try and suppress my laughter. I rolled to my side facing Kat, her blonde hair shining in the dark. This caused my mind to wonder to a certain blonde haired boy, why did this keep happening. I didn't like him, or did I?