3.15

Kat and Georgina came back soon after Harry left and thankfully I was able to leave the Hospital wing before dinner. Throughout dinner my mind kept wondering to what I'd say to Draco, how can I tell him our little fling or whatever we were was over.  I decided until I knew what I wanted to say to him I would just avoid him. I successfully dodged him in classes , in the common room during meals, and even during quidditch practice. 

On Wednesday Flitwick assigned us an essay that must be at least three parchments long and due the next day. I went to the library for my free period and got to work, I felt someone sit in the chair next to me, "you look like you need a serious ounce of fun." I looked up from my assignment, "please George I really need to get this done." He groaned a leaned back in his chair and started playing with my hair. I tried to do my work and listen to his story about Ron and Hermione's fight over Crookshanks apparently eating Scabbers. "Look George this is a really good story, but can you please tell me  in like ten minutes." He went silent as I worked, every so often leaning over my shoulder to observe my work.  

"Ok now I'm done," He got up, "Finally," he put his hand out for me to grab, "let's get some lunch." I grabbed his hand and pulled my self up, our hands lingered together until we heard a loud slam of a book and we broke apart to see what caused the noise. It was Draco who was watching from the book shelves. "You go ahead, I'll catch up," George looked at me, "don't worry I forgot I have to go return some books." 

I didn't have any books to return, the second George was out of the library Malfoy stormed angrily towards my table. "What do you think you're doing?" He grabbed my wrist and pulled me behind a bookshelf. "Draco," he cut me off, "just stop Potter," he smashed his lips against mine, but instead of being soft like they usually are it was rough. His hands trailed up and down my back, I pushed him back and wiped my mouth. "We can't do this anymore Draco." "Do what?" He asked as he pulled a piece of hair out of my face. "Whatever we are, I can't do this to Harry or to my mental wellbeing." He took his hands off of my face and looked away frustrated, "you choose him, you really chose him over me." I reached out for him but he refused, "c'mon he's my family, you're telling me you wouldn't choose your mother or father over me." He still wouldn't look at me in the eye, "I'd choose you over anyone." he was so dramatic,  "now that's a load of bullshit Draco, you don't even have enough respect for me to ask if I would be your girlfriend. Instead, you just see me as a snogging buddy and an ass to grab." He cupped my face aggressively, "do you want to be my girlfriend?" I didn't respond and he loosened his grip on me, "is that what you want to hear," he said in a softer tone.

I did want to hear that, I actually loved to hear that. "It's too late Draco, my feelings for you are gone, they weren't even feelings. It was just the adrenaline that went along with sneaking around" I started walking away but he grabbed me and turned my body around, "please, don't do this." I pulled my arm from his grip, "I'll see you later Draco." 

That Saturday it was Gryffindor vs Ravenclaw, I decided to sit in the Gryffindor section with Hermione since her and Ron hadn't made up from their fight. The match ended with a victory for Gryffindor and I returned to the common room with Hermione for a post-victory party. the party went on all day and well into the night. Fred and George Weasley disappeared for a couple of hours and returned with armfuls of bottles of butterbeer, pumpkin fizz, and several bags full of Honeydukes sweets. "How did you do that?" squealed Angelina Johnson as George started throwing Peppermint Toads into the crowd, "you know George you have to let me borrow that map." He smirked, "I think I might keep it for myself thank you very much," he leaned closer to my ear before continuing, "I rather enjoy seeing you and Malfoy alone in broom closets every so often." My stomach dropped, I hadn't even thought of that potential risk. "Well that's over now," his eyes sparked up and I explained what happened to him. "Don't worry Amelia, he's mental for not seeing how much better you are than him." I smiled cheekily at him, "you always make me feel better George Wesley." 

 The Gryffindor party ended only when Professor McGonagall turned up in her tartan dressing gown and hair net at one in the morning, to insist that they all go to bed. "Miss Potter, it is far too late for you to walk back to the dungeons. Is there anywhere you could sleep?" George slugged his arm around me, "she can sleep in my room professor." McGonagall looked disapprovingly, "I think not Mr. Wesley." 

I was allowed to sleep on the large leather couch, it was actually quite comfortable with the crackling fire and flannel blanket. Before I could fall into a deep sleep I was awakened by the creaking floor. I looked to see who was up at this hour and it was a boy who's face I couldn't make out, I was too tired to say anything and fell back asleep. I was awakened a few minutes later when shouting was heard throughout the tower. 

 "Are you sure you weren't dreaming, Ron?" Harry asked a startled Ron,  "I'm telling you, I saw him!" I stood up groggily, everyone was awake now and investigating the commotion. "Everyone back upstairs!" said Percy, hurrying into the common room and pinning his Head Boy badge to his pajamas as he spoke. "Perce — Sirius Black!" said Ron faintly. "In our dormitory! With a knife! Woke me up!" The common room went very still, it was a mix of fear and confusion. Professor McGonagall was back. She slammed the portrait behind her as she entered the common room and stared furiously around. Ron yelled. "PROFESSOR, I WOKE UP, AND SIRIUS BLACK WAS STANDING OVER ME, HOLDING A KNIFE!" Professor McGonagall stared at him.

"Don't be ridiculous, Weasley, how could he possibly have gotten through the portrait hole?" "Ask him!" said Ron, pointing a shaking finger at the back of Sir Cadogan's picture. "Ask him if he saw —" Glaring suspiciously at Ron, Professor McGonagall pushed the portrait back open and went outside. The whole common room listened with bated breath. "Sir Cadogan, did you just let a man enter Gryffindor Tower?"  The man I saw enter the common room was Sirius Black, he had the perfect opportunity to kill me. I was lucky to be alive. 

Professor McGonagall pulled herself back through the portrait hole to face the stunned crowd.She was white as chalk. "Which person," she said, her voice shaking, "which abysmally foolish person wrote down this week's passwords and left them lying around?" Poor Nevill raised his hand. 

No one in the Gryffindor tower slept that night, the castle was thoroughly searched but Black was no where to be found. Security at Hogwarts was much tighter, students were forbidden from traveling alone and teachers were constantly on the lookout. Later that week, I decided to go to the library to catch up on homework rather than going down to lunch. I was walking down a dark corridor when I felt someone grab my arm tightly. I instantly grabbed my wand, "flipendo," I shouted and the figure was launched backwards. "Seriously Malfoy why would you sneak up on me like that?" I said as I helped him up, "you know you aren't supposed to walk alone, Black could still be in the castle." I rolled my eyes,  "what would I do without your protection Draco?" I started walking towards the library, but he followed. "You know there's another Hogsmeade weekend coming up," "I was aware," I responded, "I already told Kat and Georgina I'd go with them." He stepped in front of me, "just give this up Potter," I stared at him eyebrows raised. He continued, "you like me and I like you, so I don't understand your bloody issue." "Just ask Pansy Draco," I said as I walked to the library, he called after me, "c'mon Potter I know you want too."