Chapter 60

When Garreth had returned and excitedly told Lynn his new idea she'd been significantly less enthusiastic about it than he. In fact, she'd tried to talk him out of it. Hard. And honestly, he'd expected no less, and her doing so didn't dampen his enthusiasm one bit. When she'd eventually realized that he wasn't going to take no for an answer, at least not from her, she'd finally relented and agreed to take him to meet her ex.

"You know Garreth, when I said that I'd do whatever I could to help you, this wasn't what I meant. Nothing like this ever crossed my mind, nor should it have crossed yours. This is crazy Garreth. I should never have brought you here. It just feels so... wrong." She stood and paced around the room as they waited.

"Not to me. In fact, it's about the only thing that's felt right in a long, long time" said Garreth who sat on the edge of his seat, his foot tap-tap-tapping the floor. He was nervous, but not for the same reasons as Lynn. No, he was anxious to know if the doctor thought that his plan might work, and if so, whether he'd be willing to help. Garreth knew that he was asking a lot, but he was running out of ideas. And Luna was running out of time.

"Do you think he'll do it? Your ex... will he help me?"

Lynn thought for a moment and sighed. "I sure hope not Garreth. I'm sorry, but it's true." She paused. "But... yes, he probably will. If he thinks there's a reasonable chance of success then yes. Which is why I absolutely hate myself right now for bringing you to see him."

A few moments later the door opened and in walked a tired looking unshaven man in a wrinkled once-white lab coat. Lynn walked over and gave him a hug.

"Hi Ben. Good to see you. I'm sorry to ask to meet on such short notice. I know it's risky, but it was urgent."

She turned to Garreth who was now standing and extending his hand to the doctor. "Garreth, this is Ben. Ben, this is my friend Garreth."

Ben smiled as he reached out and shook Garreth's hand firmly. "It's a pleasure to finally meet the man who saved my daughter. So, tell me Garreth... what can I do for you?"

"Well Ben, actually, I was hoping maybe you could return the favor."

The doctor clasped his hands together in front of him. "Of course, of course. I'll do what I can. Please, have a seat" he said, motioning to the chairs across from him as he sat down behind his desk. "Just what did you have in mind?"

The doctor carefully listened to Garreth as he proceeded to outline his plan, which really was far more idea than plan. He took a few notes and asked Garreth a few clarifying questions, but mostly he just listened, offering neither judgement nor encouragement in either his words or his expression. When Garreth had finished the doctor leaned back in his chair and sat quietly bouncing his pen off his chin.

"Please doctor... Ben" Garreth interjected after what seemed like several minutes of silence. "I'd do anything for my daughter. Just like I know you would for yours."

Ben leaned forward, resting his arms on the desk, and looked intently at Garreth. "You do realize what you're asking, right? It would be dangerous." He waved his hand towards Garreth. "Clearly you've accepted your part in this, but what I mean is, the procedure would be dangerous for your daughter too. We're in uncharted territory here Garreth, and there's no guarantee that this would work. We simply can't know for sure."

"But it is possible? There is a chance that it could actually work?"

The doctor screwed up his mouth and drummed his fingers on the desk, never taking his eyes off Garreth.

"Yes. Of course I can't give you any sort of probability of success or anything, but yes Garreth. If you're asking for my opinion, I think there is a chance."

Garreth. Honey. Please... listen to Lynn. This is crazy. We don't even know if it will work.

No. No we don't. But do you know what definitely won't work Jules? Doing nothing. Doing nothing definitely won't work.