Chapter 65

A/N: Chapter / scene song from playlist - DARK DAYS, DARKER NIGHTS (Tedashii, Britt Nicole) *

Luna sat in the dark by herself watching the approaching storm.

It was hard to believe that less than a week ago she'd been with Bo. Yea, it had been just 6 days since they'd happily sat and watched her movie together the night before she'd been forced to leave the city to go live 'off the grid' with all the other exiles. Which meant it had been about 5 ½ days since she'd started counting the days until she saw him again. She glanced at her watch as lightning illuminated a ship out at sea. And it had now been just 12 hours since she'd learned that he was going to die, tomorrow, and about 30 seconds since the last time she'd cursed and screamed into the wind.

She'd been sitting with Lynn, mindlessly half listening to the radio when she'd heard the news. According to the report, someone - clearly someone with influence - had come forward suggesting that Bo's parents' deaths weren't the result of an accident at all, but were in fact suicides. Of course she knew it was a lie, a big fat fucking lie, but apparently truth was overrated, and as a result of the unfounded accusations, the days that had been 'willed' to Bo for his parents' premature accidental deaths were now being revoked. And given that his own assigned DoD of just 21 days had already long since passed, he was now sentenced to be discontinued tomorrow. She remembered thinking at the time 'how could they?'. But of course they could. It was just the latest in a long line of brutal, unjustified, inhumane things that they could and would and did do. She hadn't been sure if she had any more tears to cry, but she'd found a way. Bo deserved her tears.

She was desperate to see him, but even ignoring the obvious risks associated with her returning to the city, it was too far for her to walk. And presumed-to-be-dead people like her couldn't very well ride the bus – she'd be apprehended immediately if she tried. So, with Lynn's help she'd sent a message, begging him to meet her, but she had no idea if he'd receive it in time or not. Getting messages through usually took days. All she could do now was wait and see. Tomorrow she'd go to the farmhouse and wait. Wait and hope.

She looked out to sea again as the rain finally landed on shore and began to drench her. The inky black water looked so inviting. Whether she saw Bo again or not, after he was... gone, she was going to take that final walk out into the waves, and this time she wouldn't need a fucking backpack full of rocks.

She sighed and hung her head with heavy resignation. No, she didn't have that luxury. Checking out wasn't an option for her. Not now. Not after what her Dad had done, after what he'd sacrificed, for her to live. She stood and screamed into the night, throwing handfuls of sand at the wind.

She ran her gritty fingers through her wet hair as she turned her face to the sky and to the rain that fell like so many tears. She opened her eyes just as another bolt of lightning flashed, appearing to almost strike the ship on the horizon. But the ship just kept on going, seemingly unaffected by the storm.

Unaffected by the lightning...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luna barged into the big communal tent and walked over to where Lynn was sitting and talking quietly with a small group of people. Their conversation halted abruptly as they all turned to stare at the dripping wet girl standing there with a crazy resolute look in her eyes.

"Hi Luna. What..." Lynn started to say before Luna interrupted her.

"Lynn. I'm going to need another favor."