Chapter 27

Garreth sat at his desk staring at the piece of paper he'd pulled out of his bag. It was his DoD notice and it read 45 days. He'd received it over a month ago, meaning that he now had less than 2 weeks left.

He'd lied to Luna - his lies to her were starting to accumulate - telling her that he'd been granted just over 15 years. While he hadn't felt all that convincing in his performance, Luna had been happy enough to accept the relatively "good" news. Thankfully she hadn't wanted to see the notice. Like, not at all. They terrified her.

So, in 12 days he was supposed to die, and Luna knew nothing of it. Except of course that he wouldn't die because he'd never actually been inoculated, which Luna also knew nothing about.

He leaned forward with his elbows on his desk and held his head in his hands. He'd been racking his brain for the past month and he still didn't know what to do. One thing was for sure... he couldn't just walk into the office after his prescribed day of discontinuance and say "oops, I guess it didn't work!".

Garreth had been hearing Julia's voice less and less lately. Of course he missed her terribly but at the same time part of him was glad because when he heard her it felt like she was still around, and he didn't want her around. Not here. Not with things as they were. He wouldn't wish this on anyone, let alone his Jules. But he heard her loud and clear now.

"G. You've got to do something, and for goodness sake you've got to come clean with our daughter! You're running out of time G."

Garreth leaned back in his chair and looked up at the ceiling. "I know I do Honey. I know I do."