Chapter 20

The tournament wore on late into the afternoon. Yvaine was covered in dirt, sweat, and grass stains, but couldn't stop smiling. She took a drink from the water bucket that a faun carried around.

    The tournament was much different than those in Telmar. For one thing, women hadn't been allowed to participate. Here, everyone could join in. They were also doing a variety of things, rather than just swordfighting.

    Fauns and dwarfs had already started playing their instruments and several creatures were getting ready to prepare the evening feast. Yvaine and Evolet headed towards the jousting lanes, after parting ways with Susan and Lucy.

    Nutmeg and Captain were already there. Nutmeg stamped a hoof with impatience. Two centaurs were jousting currently. "I'll ride Captain," Ev volunteered.

    "You'll need chain mail," Yvaine pointed out.

    "I'll see if I can borrow Lucy's. I'll be right back." Evolet darted off.

    Yvaine crossed her arms and watched the two centaurs as a horn blared. They took off galloping towards one another, lances in hand. She tilted her head, wondering briefly how it would work with no rider to knock off. She got her answer a second later.

    The centaurs struck each other with their lances. One of them tripped over his own hooves and careened into the wooden lane divider. He untangled himself and stood. The winner was raising his lance in the air and cheering with the crowd. The two of them headed off a moment later.

    "I'm back!" Ev shouted. "Lucy let me borrow hers." She wore the chain mail beneath her leather armor. Evolet swung onto Captain's back and slid her feet into the stirrups of the saddle.

    Yvaine jumped onto Nutmeg's bareback. The centaurs trotted towards them now. "Are you the next jousters?" One of them asked.

    "Yes," Yvaine replied. They handed over the lances.

    "Good luck. You'll never stay on bareback," the other one said. They trotted off.

    Nutmeg snorted at their backs. They took their place in one of the lanes. Captain and Evolet headed to the opposite lane. A dwarf ran over to Yvaine and handed her a helmet. She put it on and slid the visor down. Evolet was doing the same.

    Yvaine drew in a deep breath and adjusted the lance, tucking it under her arm as she'd been taught. A horn blared and Nutmeg took off. Captain and Evolet were quickly approaching.

    "Tighten your grip with your legs and don't slacken even when you're hit," Nutmeg huffed as she ran.

    Yvaine obeyed wordlessly. Her legs tightened around Nutmeg and she pointed the lance towards Evolet. They reached the collision point. Ev's lance pummeled into her gut. Yvaine didn't see where her's hit. They reached the end of the lane and turned. Evolet had stayed on as well. They would have to take another pass.

    "Aim for her shoulder, if you can," Nutmeg advised. "The force will drive her backwards and her own weight will pull her off Captain."

    "All right." Yvaine tightened her arm around the lance. The horn blared again and they lunged into action. This time, Evolet's lance caught her in the leg. Yvaine drove her's into Ev's shoulder. They raced to the end of the lane and turned. Evolet was on the ground, a cloud of dust surrounding her. Yvaine jumped down, ignoring the cheering of the crowd.

    "Are you all right?" She held a hand down to Ev.

    "Fine," Evolet panted. "That was a good blow. My shoulder will be bruised for sure." She told Yvaine's hand and grimaced as she was pulled to her feet.