Chapter 36

There was no one in sight when they reached the Stone Table. Yvaine dismounted and left Nutmeg at the foot of the hill. Edmund followed her up shortly, leaving Philip behind as well. Yvaine reached the Table before Edmund did.

    She let her hand rest on the broken stone. There was an echo of sadness there. Yvaine pulled her hand back and looked around. "I don't know if he'll come," Edmund said, joining her.

    "Lucy said that if we need him, he will."

    Edmund simply inclined his head. Yvaine's gaze landed on two stone pillars. The sun rested in between them. She sat down in its golden glow and squeezed her eyes shut.

    "Aslan, please, if you can hear me, come," she whispered. She bit her lip and opened her eyes, watching the sun continue its journey.

    It felt like hours had passed and there was still no sign of Aslan. Edmund sighed, finally. "We should get back. Peter will want to discuss strategy and we have to leave for Beruna tomorrow."

    Yvaine glanced at the sun. It had lowered significantly. Twilight would be upon them soon enough. My visions happened in a starlit sky. Maybe Aslan will come after dark. She shook her head. "You go ahead. I'm not leaving yet."

    "I'm not leaving until you are," Edmund replied. "But I am going to check on the horses." He started down the stone stairs.

    Yvaine rested her chin in her palm, waiting. Gradually, the first stars began to appear in the sky. She stood and watched them, hoping to see some movement. "What are you searching for, dear one?"

    She gasped and turned. Aslan stood close by his warm amber eyes fixed on her. "We came to find you. King Hakan is going to attack Narnia again, but this time, I don't think Narnia will have much of a chance." Yvaine drew in a measured breath. "I've been trying to think of a way to stop Hakan, but I can't come up with anything. Please, Aslan, there must be something."

    Aslan blinked and looked to the sky. Yvaine followed his gaze. The stars were moving, just as they had in her dreams. She saw all of the images with clarity. The only part missing was the terrible scream.

    "What does it mean?" Yvaine asked.

    "Visions often mean several things," Aslan began. "Be mindful of this and they will interpret themselves when the time comes."

    Why must he be so vague? Yvaine groaned to herself. "Can't you come back with us? You've fought with the Narnians before, at the Battle of Beruna."

    "Things never happen the same way twice." Aslan shook his great mane. "Do you think the Narnians would survive if I fought every battle for them?" His eyes softened, finally. "I will be there, in the end, but this battle is not mine. It is yours, as it always has been."

    "What do you mean?"

    "I once told you that you had a difficult choice ahead of you. You have already started down the road towards it. Now, it is time to make your decision. Hakan will not back down. My kings and queens will not give up their country. Telmar has the ability to destroy Narnia, and in doing so, destroy itself."

    Yvaine closed her eyes, trying to make sense of everything. "But why is this my battle?"

    "You have been set in the middle of this conflict from the very beginning. You understand both of our ways. That is what will help you."

    "I'm going to have to choose, aren't I? There isn't room for hesitation anymore." Aslan dipped his head. "You will come at the end, as you've said?"