Chapter 33

Yvaine woke to sunny weather and trees. Her chest still felt tight and she was both hot and cold. She hugged her cloak to her body and realized that she was on the ground, not on a horse. Other cloaks were beneath her.

Evolet knelt beside her after a moment and felt her forehead. "Where are we?" Yvaine whispered.

"Narnia. We left the foothills a few hours ago." Evolet's brow creased with concern. "Do you feel any better?"

Yvaine shook her head. "I feel worse."

"I was hoping the warm weather would make you feel better." Evolet looked around, after a minute.

"Where are the others?"

"Father and Edmund are making sure we're out of sight of Hakan's army. Mother went to see if she could find any herbs for you. We haven't run into any Narnians yet."

"Did Edmund speak to the trees?"

Evolet nodded. "He told them what he knew and they told him what's been happening. Dozens of Hakan's soldiers have been marching through the forest."

"I need to tell them what I know." Yvaine covered her mouth and coughed.

"Just wait. Here." She held up a waterskin. Yvaine took a drink and closed her eyes again.

"How far are we from Cair Paravel?"

"Edmund said it will take us two days, I think. He's going to join the Narnian army when we meet up with them. We'll go on to the castle."

Davina appeared out of the woods, with a few plants in her grasp. "I found a few herbs that should help some." She poured water into a stone bowl and set it over the fire. Davina broke the herbs into the water.

"You brought a bowl? I told you only bring what's necessary," Evolet giggled.

"Well, bowls are necessary on occasion." Davina smiled.

A few minutes later, the drink was done. Davina scooped out the wilted herbs and let the mixture cool a bit, before having Yvaine drink it. It was bitter and tasted awful, but she swallowed it all. Evolet smoothed Yvaine's hair back behind her ears.

"I dreamed about Aslan the other night," Yvaine said softly.

"Oh?"

"Have you ever dreamed about him?"

"I haven't," Evolet replied. "I don't know if I really believe in him."

"I do." Yvaine closed her eyes. When she opened them again, Edmund and Declan had returned to the camp. They were talking to Evolet and Davina quietly. Yvaine took a slow breath. The ache in her chest had eased a bit, but she still felt awful and cold.

Edmund glanced at her and came over a bit later. "How are you feeling?"

"Tired. What's going on?"

"Hakan's army is heading towards Cair Paravel. They're near the Witch's old camp. Peter and our army are already gathering to meet them." He pursed his lips for a moment. "Do you think you can tell the trees what you learned?"

Yvaine nodded. She sat up carefully and Edmund helped her stand. They walked into the woods a short distance. Leaves rustled in the wind. Pink petals drifted from the sky and formed the shape of a woman. Yvaine glanced at Edmund warily, but he nodded.

She leaned towards the dryad and began to whisper what she'd learned. When she finished, the tree woman promised to pass on the knowledge. They returned to the camp and Yvaine curled up with her cloak again.

"Do you think Lucy's cordial could help?" Evolet asked.