Chapter 25

"Do you know me?" The lion sat beside her, watching the sunrise over a grassy hill. A stone table was before them, with the sun behind it. The table was cracked through the center.

"Yes," Yvaine said. "You're Aslan."

"It is rare for a Telmarine to both know me and hear me," Aslan said. His voice was deep and calm. Yvaine wasn't sure what to say, so she remained silent. "You risked your life for a Narnian. Why?" Aslan turned his head towards her. A genuine curiosity shown in his golden gaze.

"I don't consider the Narnians to be my enemies," Yvaine replied. "Besides, Edmund is my friend."

"And, perhaps something more?"

"I...don't know." Yvaine looked down.

"You do."

"There's too many complications. It wouldn't work," Yvaine explained quickly. "It would bring danger to my father, to Evolet's family. It might even assist King Hakan's desire to declare war."

"It is by no accident that you were brought to Narnia and put into this situation," Aslan said. "Many paths lie ahead of you, dear one. You have a decision to make. Your choice will determine the fate of both Narnia and Telmar."

"I don't understand." Fear filled her mind. Yvaine looked up at Aslan again. He blinked at her and she instantly felt calm again.

"You will in time."

"Please, can't you tell me what do to?"

Aslan gave a low chuckle. "No, you must choose for yourself. But, I will be there when you need me. You need only to seek me out."

She could feel the vision ending quickly. Aslan was fading from view. "Aslan, wait!" Yvaine cried.

She jerked awake in her hammock, still aboard the Splendour Hyaline. Edmund sat beside her. "Are you all right?" Yvaine asked.

"Yes, and you?" She nodded in reply.

"I can see why you're scared of sea monsters now," she said, with a hint of a laugh. Her throat felt raw. For a moment, Yvaine wondered if she had swallowed the sea water or if it was an effect of Lucy's cordial.

"If I had known it was there, we would've taken a different route," Edmund replied.

"Is everyone all right?"

"They've all sustained minor injuries, but no one fell overboard or was killed, thankfully. Mrs. Beaver will want to check on you shortly."

"I feel fine."

"You'll be sore in a few hours," Edmund laughed. "I am."

"You didn't do any work," she pointed out.

"I know. I'm the one who should've had to help you." Edmund leaned over her, smoothing some hair away from her face. His thumb brushed against her cheek. Yvaine shivered, but not from cold. "You saved my life."

"I had help."

"Lucy said you saw a lion. Was it Aslan?"

"Yes. If it weren't for him, we both would've drowned. You might've died anyway if Lucy hadn't had her cordial."

"Those are fair points, but you were the one who jumped in after me, right after killing a sea monster. You're the bravest person I know." His warm brown gaze met her hazel eyes.

I never noticed those golden flecks before, she thought.

"Yvaine," he murmured.

She said nothing as he leaned closer. Edmund pressed his lips against hers, after a moment of hesitation. Yvaine closed her eyes, wrapping her arms around his neck. She pulled back after a moment. Edmund searched her gaze, looking somewhat worried.