chapter twenty four

Josie's POV                                                                                                                                                                            Her Apartment                                                                                                                                                                    May 2nd, 2012                                                                                                                                                                       11:47 PM

A week went by with no word from Ben. The only updates I got were from Kara and the guys, all of which sided with me in believing that I did all I could. I was still heartbroken though. Ben is-I guess was the love of my life. And no amount of tears, ice cream, or sad music could take that away. Andrew had told me that a few guys had to hold Jeremy off of Ben when he saw him, and that he swore he had seen Ben crying in their dressing room. I wanted to believe that he was as broken as I am, but seeing as he's the one who stormed out, it was hard. As I sat on my couch eating another pint of Ben and Jerry's (probably a bad choice because of the name, but their double chocolate brownie is to die for), I heard a knock at my door. I got up to open it, not caring that my hair and clothing was a mess. 

"Hey. I bring news and reinforcements, because the news is pretty bad." Kara said, stepping out of the way to reveal Tommy and Andrew with chocolate in their hands. 

"Okay. Let's do this then." They all came in and we went in the living room, where the walls were almost bare. 

"What happened in here?" Tommy asked, looking around. 

"Almost all of my pictures had Ben in them, and some of the stuff on the shelves was stuff he gave me, so it's in a box in the studio." I replied, plopping down on the couch. I grabbed my ice cream and my spoon off the coffee table, putting another bite in my mouth. "Alright, let's hear it. At this point, nothing can really make my week worse." 

"Well, you might be surprised." Andrew said quietly. "Ben's um, he's, well..." 

"He's in the hospital." Kara finished quickly. 

"Way to rip off the band-aid." 

"What do you mean he's in the hospital? Is he okay? What happened?" A million different things rushed through my head as I stood up, heading towards my room to get dressed. 

"Where are you going?" Tommy asked, following me. 

"Well, to the hospital if you guys don't give me answers. And if you do, then I'm going afterwards." 

"Sit back down so we can tell you." Kara said, taking my hand. I did as I was told, my heart still pumping. "He's literally exhausted. He passed out backstage today before the show. We had to get an ambulance because we couldn't get him to wake up. As far as I know, he's still asleep, but the doctors think that's because he's lost so much rest. They said he's lucky he didn't have some sort of seizure." 

"Which hospital is he at? I'm going to be with him, I don't care where we are in our relationship." I said, going back to my room.

"It's the one on 76th!" Andrew called. I nodded to myself, quickly putting on a clean pair of leggings and one of his t-shirts. I dry shampooed my hair, throwing it into another bun before throwing on a pair of vans and heading towards the door. "You go. We'll get the essentials together and bring them to you there." 

"You guys are the best. Thank you so much." I hugged them each and rushed out the door, headed for the subway. I rode it to the stop nearest the hospital, jogging towards the entrance. When I got to the front desk, the lady was half asleep in her chair. "I need to know what room Benjamin Fankhauser is in. Please." 

"407. Take the elevator to the right." I did as I was told, riding up to the fourth floor and going to the seventh room. I didn't bother knocking and barged straight in, but stopped dead in my tracks. There he was, asleep in the hospital bed. He was extremely pale, but I could see the bags under his eyes from across the room. It was terrifying. Slowly, I walked across the room to the chair next to his bed and sat down, grabbing his hand. 

"I love you so much." I whispered, kissing his knuckles lightly. "So fucking much." 

The Next Morning

When I woke up the next day, my hand was still in Ben's and he was still asleep. Some of the color had come back to his face, and he was looking more like himself. I had been awake for about an hour, just playing on my phone and editing pictures when I heard him start to stir. 

"Where am I? Josie?" 

"Hey. You were so tired you passed out before the show yesterday, so you're in the hospital." I replied, closing my laptop and putting it aside. 

"Why did you come?"

"Because I love you, and no matter what kind of argument or fight we're having, I'm going to be with you when something happens." I said, thinking back about the fight. What if he didn't want me here? 

"Thank you. That means a lot. Seriously." He gave me a weak smile, letting me know that for right now, we were okay. "So, what time did you get here?" 

"Around midnight."

"I thought you said I passed out before the show?"

"You did, Kara, Andrew, and Tommy just didn't tell me until afterwards. I'm just glad they told me at all." I said, looking down at the ground. "I'm glad you're okay." 

"Josie, I need to apologize." Ben said suddenly. 

"Okay."

"I'm sorry for shutting you down the other day. My mental health hasn't been the best lately, but I should've let you explain. And you did, I just didn't listen. I love you, Jos. I miss you." 

"I miss you too." I said, tears in my eyes. "I'm sorry for saying you didn't know me. There is a lot of me left, but you probably know me better than anyone. You're my best friend." Ben grabbed my hand, squeezing it tightly. 

"You wanna keep this little thing going?" 

"Please."

yayyyyyy i scared y'all didn't i