chapter thirty seven

okay so technically, technically, this is jess (actually), but it's a picture of jeremy and his sister so it counts, right? right? (p.s. stalking ashley's instagram has given me many a picture for a future story starring jeremy)

Josie's POV                                                                                                                                                                            NYU Graduation                                                                                                                                                                  May 28th, 2014                                                                                                                                                                    10:00 AM

"I'm so nervous." I said, shaking my hands slightly. 

"You'll be fine. You already did all the work." Ben said, kissing my head. "I'm so incredibly proud of you." 

"I love you so much Fankhauser." I said, hugging him tightly. 

"I love you too, Jordan." he replied, stroking my hair. "Now, I've got to go find everyone. Do I look okay?" I smoothed out his shirt slightly, and straightened his tie. 

"Perfect." 

"Good. Kill it baby!" He started walking back towards the stands, where he'd be meeting up with my parents, siblings, and even a few Newsies and their spouses. I went over to where Cameron, a friend from a couple of my classes was standing. 

"Hey, you excited?" I asked. 

"Yeah. Hey, random question, but who was that you were talking to?" 

"Oh, that was Ben, my fiancé." 

"Well that just ruined my entire plan." 

"What?" 

"I was going to be bold and ask you out, but you're engaged. It's fine though, I'm glad you're happy." He turned away and I went to get in line. Finally, after what felt like years, we got to walk out. They lead us to our seats and I quickly found my family in the crowd. They all gave small waves, much like a lot of the families in attendance. 

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome, to the 182nd New York University graduation, of the class of 2014." 

Two hours later...

"With a major in Photography, Josephine Eleanor Jordan." I walked across the stage, taking my diploma and smiling for the cameras. I could hear my family cheering loudly from beside me. 

"THAT'S MY FIANCEÉ!!" Ben yelled loudly. I stifled a laugh as a light chuckle sounded all around the room. 

Two MORE hours later...

After four hours, the ceremony let out and I was allowed to go see my family. I went out to the courtyard, where they were all waiting in a large group. 

"I'm so proud of you!" Mom yelled, pulling me into a tight hug. 

"Thanks mom." 

"Congrats Jos. I love you." Dad hugged me, and I swore I felt him crying. 

"My turn!" Jeremy shoved everyone out of his way, giving me a hug so big he picked me up off the ground. 

"Jer! I need to breathe!" I said, trying to wiggle away. He set me back down, removing my cap and ruffling my hair. 

"I'm so proud of you kiddo. Seriously." 

"Thank you." He moved and Joey stepped up, hugging me from the side. 

"I'm proud of you kid." 

"Thanks." 

"My little sister is all grown up! I can't believe it!" Jessica said, hugging me tightly. "Okay, I'm going to get out of the way so you can see your man." Ben stepped up, arms open. 

"Look at you, getting your degree. I couldn't be prouder, seriously. I love you." 

"I love you too." I kissed him softly, to which Jeremy and Joey had some protests. 

"Right here!" 

"You're not married yet!" 

"Boys, be quiet, would you?" I heard Mom's hand hit their chests, a sound I knew well from my childhood, and Jess trying not to laugh. I pulled away from the hug and Ben stepped to the side, revealing a very excited Kara. 

"YOU GRADUATED COLLEGE!!" She ran over and hugged me, squealing in your ear. "Look at you with your life together!" 

I got hugs from Kevin, Corey, Meghan, Andrew, Tommy, and Ashley before we started taking pictures, which took forever in itself.  After returning my cap and gown, Ben and I got in my car, heading back to our apartment. 

"Is this how you feel when I'm onstage?" he asked suddenly. 

"What do you mean?" 

"You always say that when you watch me perform, you feel so proud that you can't explain it. I feel like my chest is going to burst because I'm so proud of you and so in love with you." 

"That's exactly it." 

awwwwwwwwwwwwwww yay