chapter fifty two

i couldn't find a pic to fit the vibe soooo

Josie's POV                                                                                                                                                                             The Hospital                                                                                                                                                       October 18th, 2018                                                                                                                                                       4:37 AM    

It all happened so quickly I didn't remember it all. We were sitting in the living room, Ben and I were watching TV while Kade slept peacefully between us. We were only awake at almost midnight because both of us had a feeling that something was wrong somewhere, but we didn't know where or what. That's when I felt it, and my heart sank. A contraction, two months early. We called Kara and Kevin, and they came over as soon as possible to watch Kade. I was scared out of my mind as we raced to the hospital, hoping and praying for the best. When we got there, they took me straight back, saying that this was an emergency delivery. There were tears when I saw how little she was. She barely weighed two pounds. I remember Ben's face when they said he couldn't come with them to make sure she was okay. I can still hear the sobs coming from both of us as we held each other tightly. And now here we are, waiting on news. 

"Mr. and Mrs. Fankhauser?" A doctor knocked softly on the door, stepping in. "I have news about your daughter." We both sat up, waiting for the worst. "She's weak, like every premature baby. We hope she's going to be okay, but we can never be sure. You aren't able to hold her yet, but you can come see her in a few minutes." We nodded, scared to know what was going to happen next.

"What do you think I did wrong?" I whispered, looking over at Ben with tears in my eyes. 

"Jos, you did nothing wrong. These things happen sometimes, and there's nothing you can do about it." 

"I just want to hold her. To know she's okay." The tears started pouring again, and Ben hugged me tightly, drawing shapes on my back with the tips of his fingers. 

"It's all going to be fine." he whispered, his voice breaking. "She's going to be just fine." 

"We haven't even picked out her name yet." I said, my head resting on his shoulder. 

"What about Ally Elizabeth? I've had that one on my mind for a while now." 

"I like that a lot." 

"Well that was a lot easier than last time." he chuckled, trying to lighten the mood a little. 

"Yeah. I think that's the only part." I sighed. "We should probably let everyone know." I pulled out my phone, calling Jeremy. 

"Jos? Is everything okay?" I could tell I had woken him but, and felt bad for about half a second. 

"No, not at all." 

"What? What happened?" 

"She's here." 

"Who's here?" 

"Ally Elizabeth Fankhauser." 

"But, you're not, she wasn't-"

"I know. I just thought I should tell you." 

"Who's with Kade?" 

"Kara and Kevin. They came over at almost one in the morning." 

"Okay. I'll tell everyone who needs to know what's going on, and then I will be on my way to you." 

"Jer, you don't have to come." 

"As your older brother, I promised myself I'd be by your side for every heartbreak, no matter what. I can hear it in your voice, you're heartbroken." Ben had stepped out of the room to call his parents, and I was heavily crying. 

"They don't know if she's going to make it." I said, my voice barely above a whisper. 

"I'm on my way." He hung up and I tossed down my phone, leaning my head back and letting the tears fall. It's a miracle I'm not out of them.  Ben came back in the room, his head down. 

"My folks are going to get a flight for tomorrow. What about you?" 

"Jeremy's on his way here, and said he'd call everyone for me." 

"That's good I guess." 

"Yeah." We both knew there was nothing we could say to make any of this any better. To make the fact that we'd be going home without our little girl better. To make each other feel normal again. We also knew that Kade would be here today to see me, and that we'd have to put on a brave face for him.

YO I'M SORRY