chapter forty four

Josie's POV                                                                                                                                                                            The Pantages Theater, Los Angeles, California                                                                           September 6th, 2016                                                                                                                                                      

"How does it feel to be back, doing this again?" I asked, putting Ben's cap on my  head. 

"Well, it feels like we've added ten thousand extra people. But somehow, I still know the part." 

"You've added like five people, and yeah, you played it for three years. It's ingrained in there." I patted the top of his head, running my fingers through his hair. "I can't wait to see you guys perform it again. I kinda miss it." 

"It's definitely going to be weird doing it with Jeremy again instead of Corey." 

"Oh, did I tell you he and Meghan were flying out to see the show?" 

"No, you didn't! That's exciting!" 

"Yeah, but I feel bad for Jeremy. Ashley isn't able to come." 

"Well, you only got to come because you have a weird job." 

"I'm not the one playing a singing, dancing teenager." 

"Touché. I have to go run King of New York again, like I said, ten thousand extra newsies." He grabbed his cap and kissed my head, leaving me in the dressing room alone.  

"Hey gorgeous, what's up?" Andrew asked, walking in with Tommy and Jeremy. 

"Trying to figure out what I'm going to do for lunch. What about you guys?" 

"Jeremy and Andrew were about to take me to see what all the fuss with InNOut is, and we were wondering if you wanted to come?" Tommy grabbed my hand, pulling me out of my seat. "The guys are about to break for lunch, so if you text Ben the address he and Kara can meet us there." 

"Sounds good." 

Five Days Later...

"Alright newsie, break a leg." I said, kissing Ben quickly. I turned to walk out into the house before he called me back. 

"Jos! Will you keep this with you?" He held out his wedding ring. 

"Of course honey. I love you." I grabbed the ring and put it on my pointer finger jokingly. It was way too big, and fell off into my other hand almost immediately.

"I love you too. Have fun!" 

"Trust me, I will. Fansies everywhere." I laughed, kissing him again. "Tell Kara and the boys I said break a leg." 

"Will do darling." I went out to the house, finding Meghan, Corey, Kevin, and Scott (Andrew's boyfriend) pretty quickly. 

"How's Ben doing?" Kevin asked as we got in line for our seats. 

"Way better than the first time we did this." I laughed. 

"What?" Corey asked, looking between us. 

"Ben freaked out on opening night. It wasn't a fun time. But this time he's pumped." An usher took us to our seats, which had been reserved in advance, and we sat down, seeing all the cameras everywhere. A guy came out onstage and told us when we had to cheer, laugh, and stand up (all of which always happens on it's own). They also said that everyone had a piece of newspaper under their chair that we would throw at the end. 

There wasn't a PSA to turn off phones like there would've been on a normal night, so we were silenced by the sounds of the overture blaring through the theater. 

After the Show...

"You were brilliant!" I exclaimed as I got a (very) sweaty hug from Ben. "It's was magical, seriously."                                                                                                                                                  

"It felt weird doing that again. It was like now me was in twenty two year old me's body." he laughed. 

"Well then, let's hope this still fits." I help up his ring, which he snatched and slid on. 

"Like a glove baby!" He leaned down, leaving a lingering kiss on my lips. 

"Yo! I don't care if you're married, don't do that in the hallway outside my dressing room!" Jeremy yelled. We pulled away and I flipped him off. "What was that for?" 

"What do you think? Oh, great show by the way. The last note of Santa Fe sounded a little forced though." 

"Yes, I'm aware. That was the eighth time I've sung it today, among other songs." 

"Oh. Well, let's hope they know how to mix takes." 

"Are you trying to piss me off?" 

"Yep, and it seems to be working." I laughed, walking towards Kara's dressing room.

heh Newsies live babes