-Chapter 21-

[cry’s p.o.v.]

---

I wish I could say being in my old home, the library, brings back fond memories of times where the sun shined and we laughed and sang shit.

Mostly it just brings up the past.

Amy.

Ken.

Nate.

Everything…

“The fucking bastards took her away…” I kneel next to where Amy fell. Not a speck of blood stains the carpet. Ken knows how to clean up after a kill. “She doesn’t even get a funeral…” Felix kneels next to me and puts his arms around me, leaning his head on my shoulder. In any circumstance, if someone tried to do this to me, I would’ve smacked a bitch… but hell, this is Felix. I trust him more than anyone else, except maybe my brother.

“I’m really sorry, Cry.” I lean my head on his. Damn is his hair soft… and it smells good… like vanilla and a little bit of lavender. “If you want, we can still do something… and you should check out her house soon. The one she bought for family. I have the key on my bedside table, in Genia’s house. Also…” He snorts and I laugh, not being able to help myself. Damn does it feel good to smile. Things are starting to look up. “Maybe we should go to school soon.”

“Ah… I forgot about school. Red is probably taking care of our grades, threatening a few people, I don’t fuckin’ know. But… why would I go to her house? It’s her house. Not my house. I don’t want to walk in and act like I own the place when she’s-“ My voice breaks. “When she’s dead.”

“She bought the house for you and Nate. Not just for her. A family. A family’s house.” I open my mouth and he shushes me. “I’m not trying to force anything on you… I’m just telling you what I think. There’s a difference.” We stay silent for a bit.

“Alright,” I mutter. “We should go to Genia’s. Get some food or something. Is Minx still there because I swear if-“ I falter at his expression. His face shows a mixture of fear and sadness. “What’s wrong? Did something happen to Minx? You shouldn’t feel bad if so.”

“N-no… not Minx. Nate… he…” My eyes narrow and I pull away. He bites his lip when I stand up, my hand clenched at my sides. “Cry, please…”

Where is my brother.” By now a single tear slips from Pewdie’s eye and I stare at him, shocked, scared, and angry all at the same time. Why can’t anything just be happy? “Felix, tell me now. Where the fuck is Nate?”

“He… he was hit by…” He stops and takes a deep breath. “Fucking hell, Cry. He was hit by a car. The driver didn’t stop. It was a hit and run. He’s in the hospital.”

“How bad is it?” I ask quietly. Felix just looks at the ground. I step forward and grab his chin, forcing him to look up at me. He makes a small whine and tries to resist, but I’m stronger. I wish I wasn’t speaking to him like this. But I can’t help it. I need to know, damn it all, I need to know… and nobody will tell me anything.

“He’s in a coma.”

>>>> 

“Move the fuck out of my way!” I yell when Minx stands in front of Nate’s hospital room. Felix runs up the stairs, a little ways behind me, and stops a few feet away. I can tell he doesn’t want to get any closer, neither do I want him near me at this moment. Once he told me what happened, I hopped in the car (Felix barely managing to hop into shotgun) and booked it to the hospital. We didn’t talk the whole time. But I can tell you my spirits didn’t exactly lift when “Hey Brother” by Avicii started playing on the radio.

“You’re not calm enough to go in there. You could do something stupid,” she says stubbornly, and I try to shove past her. Felix opens his mouth, but I see him think better of it. He closes it, but takes a hesitant step forward. I take a step back and stare at Minx for a second. Her eyes are cold and menacing, but protective. She looks like a huge bear protecting her young.

Looks like we’re doing this the monster’s way.

I pull a small handgun from under my shirt, which was tucked away safely. Her eyes immediately widen, and Felix looks around to see if there are any people to see what I’m doing. There’s not, the halls are empty. Not sure why… but who cares? Better no witnesses.

“I’m going to ask you one more time,” I say, almost pleasantly. “Move the fuck out of my way.” We both stare each other down, and just as Felix steps forward- to do what, hell knows- she spits on the floor at my feet.

“Fuck. You.” I aim the gun slightly down and shoot her thigh. She screeches and falls to the floor. It all seems to happen in a single second. Felix cries out once, a horrible sound. I step over her carelessly and walk into the room. Thank god for gun mufflers. If I didn’t have one on, everyone in the hospital would have heard it.

In another world, I hear Pewdie calling for help, and footsteps pounding down the hallways. People are yelling. People are screaming. Someone is crying.

But I don’t care.

I close the door behind me and stick the gun back into its hiding place.

My brother is lying on the bed, his face pale, making his dark brown hair seem even darker than usual. In one hand he clutches my mask. He must’ve been keeping it with him when I was out, sleeping time away.

One thought runs through my head.

Why can’t this ever be happy for us? Are we just destined to be unhappy for the rest of our lives?

Is any of this even worth it?

“Damn, squirt…” I whisper. “What asshole would ever do this to a kid… to you…?” I pull my mask out of his hand gently. Putting it on is a little hard, since I haven’t done it in a while… I pull up a chair and sit by his bedside, forgetting for a second that I just shot someone. He mumbles something under his breath, and I lean so I can hear.

“The stars… are so bright…”