12

"How was I supposed to know that Fred had put Bulbadox powder in the caldron?" Nick asked as my friends and I made our way towards our common room which was only a couple of feet away from the classroom. Though I felt a hand wrap around my wrist, stopping me.

"You said we could talk."

"No." I turned to Fred. "You said we could talk. I never agreed."

"Okay." he frowned. "Well, can we?"

He looked desperate. Miserable. His eyes were focused on me, his slips slightly parted and his eyebrows were grown together in a painful frown.

"Jules!" I heard Callie call. I turned around to look at my friends who all stood by the open entrance to the Hufflepuff basement. "Are you coming?"

"In a minute." I offered a soft smile and they all looked at me for a moment before they continued, the brick wall closing behind them. I turned back to Fred. "Fine. Talk."

"Can we at least go sit on the stairs or something?"

"At least." I scoffed, moving past him. "You're lucky I'm even agreeing on having this talk with you."

I sat down on the second step of the staircase and placed my bag in front of me. Fred made his way towards me, then sat on the step above mine. I felt him brush his hand over my shoulder carefully, causing me to turn my head and look at him. His eyes met mine for a second, then he picked something out of my hair.

"Sorry." he muttered. "You just had some dust."

"Ah-huh." I nodded. "Well, could've not pranked my friends. What did you think would happen by putting Bulbadox powder in their cauldron?"

"Exactly that." he chuckled lightly, then bit his lip when he saw my face. "C'mon. You have to admit that was funny. You even laughed."

I bit the inside of my cheek to not laugh again but I couldn't hold it back and he smiled at the sound that came from me.

"Maybe it was a little funny." I shrugged as I turned towards him and leaned my back against the wall while outstretching my left leg over his feet. "You do realize you're doing the exact same thing to Angelina, that you did to me?"

"What do you mean?"

"You may not be cheating on her physically but you are sitting here with me, trying to I don't know... make me forgive you or something." I said. "That's a step in the direction of cheating but just so you know, Fred. You won't get anything from me. I don't want you back."

"I broke up with Angelina." He told me and I found myself sighing as I leaned my head back.

I don't want him back.

I don't want him—

"I told you I don't want to be a cheater. It wasn't fair to her that I stayed with her while still being in love with you."

"And it wasn't fair to me that you fucked her while being with me." I said.

"Merlin." He breathed. "Can you stop saying that?"

"What?" I leaned forward, placing a hand on his thigh which made him inhale sharply. "Fucking? You did fuck her, didn't you?"

"No." He told me. He grabbed my wrist and forced my hand off of him, throwing it down next to me while he leaned forward, his face inches from mine. "I didn't fuck her. Not when she was just a friend and not when she was my girlfriend. I have never been with anyone but you and I don't wish to be with anyone but you."

I ran a hand along the side of his neck to the back of his, pulling him closer until his lips brushed past mine.

"Congratulations." I whispered. "You managed to finally make me hate you."

I pushed him away and grabbed my bag as I stood up properly. I looked down as he looked up at me.

"You're a liar, Fred." I spat. "If you're not lying now, you lied back when you told me you slept with her so don't try and convince me that you're a good guy. You're not."

I turned around and hurried down the step, making my way towards the brick wall.

"Jules, please wait!" Fred called and again, he grabbed my wrist but this time when I turned around, he pulled me close by the side of my neck and attached his lips to mine.

Warmness and a tingling sensation immediately spread from his lips to mine and I couldn't resist. I wasn't strong enough to pull away. I had always loved kissing him. It was my favorite thing to do when we were together so getting to do that after so long.

What am I saying?

I pulled back roughly and slapped him across the face.

Oh fuck. I was crying. "Why are you doing this to me? You can't just kiss me and expect for everything to be okay. That's not how it works!"

He didn't say anything as I turned towards the brick wall and tapped the correct rhythm, then entered, the wall closing behind me.

No one ever dared to go near the fireplace area when my friends and I were in the common room. Everyone knew it was our place and that's exactly where my friends sat right now.

"I hate him." I said as I walked into the middle of the three sofas, continuing to the one where Nick sat alone. "He's a fucking jerk and I absolutely hate him."

I threw myself down next to Nick and Seth sat up straight as he looked at me. "What did he do? Jules, what did he do?"

"He fucking kissed me." I cried, sinking into the seat, my bag falling to the floor. I leaned my head back and crossed my arms over my chest. "He told me he broke up with Angelina, that he never fucked her and then he kissed me."

Silence.

"Alright, so you're telling us that you're sad... angry, I don't even know.. because Fred, the love of your life... told you that he's not with the girl you hate seeing him with anymore. He never slept with her, meaning you're still the only one he's had sex with and that uh... he kissed you? The love of your life..." Nate looked confused.

"Why are you making it sound like I'm being dramatic?" I asked, wiping my cheeks.

"Cause you kinda are."

Callie slapped him on the chest and he let out an 'Ow' as he looked at her with even more confusion on his face.

"I'm not being dramatic!" I argued. "He's not with her anymore because according to him, he's not a cheater and—"

"Well, he isn't? He never slept with her."

"Nate!" Callie snapped before sighing and taking her forehead in her hand. "You just don't get it, do you?"

"Well what is there to get? She had him right at the end of her hand. She can literally reach for him, grab him and have him back and she's crying for... what?"

"You're a dick!" I told him as I stood up. "He's lying! Why would he tell me that he slept with her if it wasn't true? Either he was lying back then or he's lying now. And kissing me while knowing how much I love him... that I can't resist him."

Nate looked at me, then slowly looked to Seth. "Okay, what am I missing? If it was me in that situation with Callie, I would be like; heck yeah. I've got my girlfriend back."

"Yeah." Seth scratched the back of his neck. "I don't quite get it either. Girls will always be... wait what's the opposite of understandable?"

"Aren't you supposed to be smart?" Melba asked.

"You're looking for the word; incomprehensible." Nick told him. "Remember it. You might have to use it again."

"Oh shut up." Seth scoffed, flipping him off. "Jules, love. Just forget about him if it upsets you so much."

"How is she supposed to do that?" Melba asked. "She shares almost every class with him."

"You know what?" I sighed and picked up my bag. "I'm gonna spend my free lesson in the library. Maybe I can get some homework done."