Erica

E R I C A

"Thanks for... That! I'll call you later." I said showing the boy who I met at the party out.

"Yeah you do that." Once the door was closed I sighed loudly. Seems like I was holding my breath that whole time.

I looked at the time and realized it was going on 12pm which means Payten's grandma should be bringing her back in any minute.

Just then I heard a knock on my door. I can't wait to see my baby girl I missed her.

"Hey bab..." I stopped in mid sentence once I seen who was at the door. I never thought I would see this nigga ever again and here he was standing at my doorstep. "What the fuck do you want?"

"We haven't seen each other in 2 years, why you gotta be so hostile?" He said smiling. I could just beat his fucking lips in.

"Point exactly, we haven't seen each other in 2 years! Why are you all of a sudden here?"

"I came to see my child." He moved past me and sat on the couch.

"Well yeah I don't like you but come on in and have a seat why don't you." I said rolling my eyes.

"Where is she or he?" Shaking my damn head.

"You are fucking pathetic! You wait all this time to try and come see your child for what? You could've just stayed where ever the fuck you was at. She been fine without you and will continue to be."

"Look man I didn't come over here for all that. Can I see..."

"Payten!"

"Payten or what?"

"She will be back soon." I said going into the kitchen.

"So until then mind telling me about her?" It's niggas like him that make it hard for females like me.

"No, seriously Jermaine. What took you so long to want to come see her? You didn't want shit to do with neither one of us because you said she wasn't yours, now all of a sudden..."

"Alright." He said cutting me off. "Look I was younger then. I'm just trying to make everything right. I don't know why it took me this long to come and want to see her because I thought about what gender my child was, what it looked like, what it liked..."

"She! Stop calling her an it."

"You get what I'm saying. I was afraid back then and I just want to be in her life now." He slid his hand down his face and sighed.

"Well I guess if that's what you say. I don't believe it though. But we can give this a shot."

"That's all I asked for. Now can you tell me about her."

I started telling him about Payten. He smiled through it all like he was actually into what I was saying and it made me happy.

"I think somebody at the door." He said. "Where's the bathroom?"

"To the back on the right." I went to go answer the door and sure enough it was my Payten.

"Hi mamas. Did you have fun with granny?" I said as I picked her up and put kisses all over her face. She just nodded with a big smile on her face.

"She was an angel as always." My mama said putting her stuff on the couch and looking around.

"What now?" I said knowing she always had something smart to say.

"Nothing. Surprisingly! It actually looks nice around here. You know my last time paying yo rent is in 2 months."

"Yes I know that already. I got 2 interviews Monday, good thing we don't have school."

"Ok that's good. I'm proud of you. Finally on yo grown woman shit."

"I guess but guess who's here?"

"Who?" Right when I was about to tell her Jermaine came from out the bathroom wiping his hands off.

"That's a bright bathroom." He looked up and looked shocked.

"Hm, hello Jermaine." My mama said looking him up and down.

"How you doing Ms. Gray?"

"I'm good how about yourself?"

"I'm doing ok. Just came to see my baby." Oh god

"Oh now? Whatever I gotta go. I'll call you later Erica." She said grabbing her purse and heading out the door.

Jermaine looked at Payten while she hugged her bear and looked at him like she was scared. She got up and reached for me and I picked her up.

"What's the matter?" I said.

"Da man." She said pointing.

"That's dada." She shook her head no. "Yes mama, remember you always say dada?"

"Yea."

"Well that's him say hi." She waved shyly.

"Hey baby girl, can I get a hug?" He asked her with his hands out. She looked at me and then back at him and reached for him.

"Dada?" She said touching his nose.

"Its me baby." I knew the look on Payten's face, she was getting ready to cry.

"What's wrong?" I said.

"Dada." She said crying and laying her head on his chest. It just broke my heart to see my baby cry like this. I may be tough or seem tough but when it comes to my baby I get real emotional and soft. Because its all about her.

"I'm sorry baby girl. I'll never leave you again. I promise!" Jermaine said holding her close to him. It was so cute. "I promise." He said mumbling.

Guess this is a start to something new.

Erica in the MM