Chapter 11

"I don't understand," Adele glanced between the two. "How can you be cousins?"

"You know, brothers and sisters eventually become mummies and daddies, those kids become cousins, you get it." Kiara said.

"I mean how did I not know, how did any of us not know?"

"We made a point to keep it a secret," Draco replied, stuffing his hands into his coat pockets. "If anyone knew it would damage our alliances on both sides, life wouldn't have been easy. Especially for Ki."

"I thought you two hated each other?"

"Then I'd say we did a pretty good job at convincing you," Kiara smiled at him.

"You lied to me, why wouldn't you even tell your own best friends?! Me, you, and Georgia have been inseparable since coming to Hogwarts and you just failed to mention that Draco Malfoy was your cousin?!"

"I couldn't take the risk of telling you Del, it wouldn't have been fair to put such a big secret on you both."

"So all of that stuff about your family being killed in the war and you having to go live with your aunt, was that all a lie too?"

"No that was the truth! My mother was murdered, my father does have a family of his own. My aunt is Narcissa, I've lived with Draco since I was practically a baby,"

"I can't believe this. All this talk of defeating the Dark Lord, and you lived under the roof of one of his followers this whole time!"

"How do you know my father is a follower?" Draco looked up at her.

"It didn't take me long to work it out." She stated back at him pointedly.

"The Dark Lord doesn't know I'm related to the Malfoys." Kiara announced. "He was under the impression that I was sent away to the rest of my family loyal to the order a long time ago, and it needs to stay that way. Adele you can't tell anyone about this, not even G. You don't know the world you've stepped into."

"One of danger, yeh, I know, you keep saying."

"Draco wasn't lying to you when he said he wanted to protect you, there's a reason you can't be together, why this has to be left the way it is."

"That's all you ever say, that I need 'protecting'. Well I don't want to be protected!! I want to live my life how I choose to live it! If you two want to live a life in fear, don't let me stop you from this road to disaster. And if you're too much of a coward to be with me Draco, then I can't stop you." She turned to Kiara, her eyes filled with Malice. "You knew what I felt for him and all you did was encourage him to drive me away, that much is clear now. So thanks for being such a good friend, Ki."

She stomped off, heading towards the castle, her tied up hair now beginning to cascade in the wind.

"Oh that's just brilliant, great work Draco." Kiara shoved her cousin.

"Me?! What did I do?!"

"You! With your confusing life decisions! Your mixed messages! Your dumb jealousy! She probably hates me now." Kiara began to tear up, biting her nails in frustration.

"She doesn't hate you Val, she's just shocked." He reassured, patting her shoulder awkwardly.

"You made this decision so why couldn't you have at least followed through?! Why didn't you just move on with someone else? Or at least stay distracted."

"I tried," he glared at her, moving his eyes to the floor as he shuffled his feet. "Trust me."

She sighed, her fingernails were beginning to bleed from the nervous chewing and her cousin noticed, he swatted her hands away.