Chapter 33

Tanner allowed himself to steal a quick glance over to Sky. He was hesitant, wanting to speak to her, thank her but unsure of what to say. She had saved his life so it seemed only right to express his gratitude.

He felt ashamed, almost. Unsure how he would've acted if the roles were reversed. Or at least if he had come to her rescue, he was sure to feel a sense of entitlement about it, like she owed him something.

Yet even now, as she mindlessly fed Wolfsbane, giggling at the creature's carnivorous chomping, she showed no sign of expecting a thing, not even so much as a thank you.

How was she so magnanimous? All he had ever shown her was hostility.

He opened his mouth to speak but only managed a small grunt, clearing his throat suggestively as the Hufflepuff turned to face him.

He was speechless for a moment, opening and closing his mouth like a gawping fish. Sky raised an eyebrow at the action, her mouth quirking up at one side.

"I... I wanted to say thank you," He started, avoiding her eye. "What you did... I appreciate it. Madam Mafalda said that I was lucky someone had acted so fast, I may not have made it out alive otherwise. Anyway, I'm grateful."

Sky nodded happily, feeding Wolfsbane another raw steak.

"You're welcome Tanner,"

"Why call me Tanner?" He asked instinctively, hostility tilting his tone, immediately regretting encouraging their amicable environment.

But he couldn't help it, the question had been playing on his mind.

"It's your name, is it not?" She blinked at him in confusion.

"It's what my friends call me, yes."

She frowned at what was implied. She'd thought that after their few weeks of working together they were at least more than mere acquaintances.

"And you wouldn't consider us friends?"

He paused, smirking slightly. "You would?"

"As it so happens."

"Well I wasn't aware we had applied a label to our... unfortunate situation."

"Unfortunate?"

"Well it wouldn't be my first choice,"

"Regardless, I think once you fight off a herd of acromantulas with someone, it's pretty difficult to avoid forming some sort of bond."

"Was that the initiation of our 'friendship' then? My near-death experience?"

"I prefer to reference it as a still-have-a-life experience." She smiled and he reluctantly returned it.

"But like I said, only thanks to you. So you know.. thanks."

"I had some help,"

He blinked at her, a creeping anxiety beginning to bubble in the pit of his chest. Who else had seen him incapacitated? And alone with her?

It could easily damage his reputation if people were under the impression that Tanner Nott had been unconscious - and weak at the hands of a woman, a Hufflepuff no less, who by the way could for all he know be a muggleborn-