Chapter 16

Two weeks later

"Welcome back students. Please enjoy the first feast of the month." Said Professor McGonagal, returning to her own seat.

"I can't believe she's all the way over there," Georgia shook her head solemnly as she glanced over to Adele at the Slytherin table. "Why would anyone think she belongs in that house?"

"Maybe she does," Kiara replied.

"What do you mean?"

"Well the hat doesn't make mistakes, so maybe she's meant to be in Slytherin."

"Just like that? Come on Ki, you of all people know that's not right! Even the timing of it! We have to do something, why aren't you agreeing with me?"

"I am G," Kiara sighed. "I just don't know what to do about it, I feel helpless."

"You? Helpless?" Georgia smiled at her best friend. "You could never be helpless, you always think of something. You will this time too."

"I just don't know where to look, none of it makes sense. Not even the location that Harry was talking about. I've tested all the possibilities I could think of, but none of it led anywhere."

"Have you tried looking in the obvious places?"

"What?"

"Like, the places that are overlooked are often the places you can find the answer. We knew moaning Myrtle for two years and no one thought to ask her how she died until Harry did, that's how he knew the monster was a basilisk that lived in the toilets."

"Kiara?" Cedric interrupted, walking over to where she sat. "Can I talk to you?"

Kiara nodded, standing from the bench and looking over gratefully to her best friend.

"You're right G, thankyou."

As she left, Georgia glanced over to the Gryffindor table, watching as Mila playfully fed George a grape. She felt her face flush with jealousy. She knew that she had given George mixed messages but that didn't mean he could hang from another girl's arm right in front of her! She could feel hot tears spilling down her cheeks but she wiped them away before anyone could see. Amelia and Belle had sat opposite her and were chatting away about boys and what their Christmas was like. Only half engaged in the conversation, Georgia kept her eyes on Gryffindor. She wasn't sure if she'd ever felt this envy towards another girl before. Mila wasn't scared of commitment like she was, she happily paraded him around like a jewelled embellishment. It hurt that George couldn't wait for her to just be comfortable enough to go public like he said he would.

Well. If that's how he wanted to be, then so be it.

Later

Draco pulled Adele's arm, steering her away from the main corridor as the Slytherins left the Grand Hall. She attempted to push him off but he pulled her close, whispering in her ear. "If you fight me off I'll have no choice but to carry you in front of everyone,"

She huffed, not resisting as he led her down the corridor, up the staircase and into the astronomy tower.

"What's going on Adele?" He asked blankly once they arrived.

"What do you mean?"

He rolled his eyes and placed one arm above her head as she leant back against the stone wall.

"Tell me what happened that night."

"Dementors-"

"Cut the bull Darwin, I don't believe you." He spat.