Chapter 43

GEN'S POV

"Live with the consequences then. You can keep her at your side and still marry the woman who's chosen for you."

The impact of the king's words knocked every wisp of air in my lungs. I just stood there, still as a statue. My brain was hopelessly muddled to make sense of everything. But one thing is clear now those invisible spineless pricks- words-shred me to pieces.

Right now, I'll choose physical pain caused by the cut of a sword over the ache brought upon me by the king's words. I can at least put a band-aid on the former one while the throbbing pain inflicted by the latter was forever imprinted in my heart.

"Gen? Why are you here?"

Namutla ako nang marinig ang boses ni Prince Lachlan mula sa likuran ko. Puno nang pagtataka ang mga mata nito nang umikot ako. The young prince's eyes darted to the door that's behind me.

"Hey. What's wrong? Are you crying?"

Natatarantang pinahid ko ang pisngi ko.

"Y-your Highness..." I gulped. I'm at loss for words.

"I was ju—"

"Genessia, come in."

And when I thought that my night couldn't be more hapless, I heard that voice raspy authoritative voice. With measured moves, I turn around and saw King Leoncio's unreadable, tight-lipped face. I know that the color on my face disappeared, and my whole body trembles. Alam ng hari na kanina pa ako nakatayo rito't nakikinig.

"Y-your Majesty."

"Sire. We're just er-talking."

Halos sabay naming wika ng batang prinsipe.

"Sorry kung naabala namin kayo ni Gen. May tinatanong lang po ako sa kanya, right Gen?" mabilis na pagtatanggol ni Prince Lachlan.

I glanced at him and saw the sheepish smile he was sporting at his grandfather. At a different time, I'll find the prince's gesture cute and I will tease him for that especially when he combed his medium locks with his right hand. But not now.

"Stop it, CAL," King Leoncio snapped and I swear we both winced. "Pumasok ka na, Genessia."

Awtomatikong napayuko ako nang banggitin nito ang pangalan ko.

"Y-yes, Y-your Majesty," my voice quivered as I nod at the king's order.

"Let's go, CAL."

Lihim akong nagtaka sa narinig na pangalang dalawang beses nang binanggit ng hari. I peered at my right where Prince Lachlan was standing, pouting and scowling like a petulant 8 year old boy.

"Abuelo, stop calling me that!" Parang batang reklamo nito.

"I'll call you whatever the hell I want to call you," anang hari at huminto ang mga mata sa gawi ko."I'll leave the two of you." He said referring to me and Liam whom I dare not to spare a glance.

"If you wish to take your leave later, Genessia. Do so. No need to look for us, you're excused."

And just like that, Liam and I were left alone. I'm shocked and I couldn't move where I'm standing. I was staring at the man in the middle of the room, his unblinking gaze was pinned on me. It was haunted and a sense of profound sadness was swirling there, holding me captive.

A discerning cacophonous maelstrom is looming around us. Surely, it's chaotic.

I tore my gaze at him. Forcing my feet to walk inside, I felt my steps falter which causes my body to sway a little. The heels of my sandals dig into the carpeted floor as I was trying my best to steady my body.