Chapter Twelve-Just add a little spice

Jenny shot bolt upright in her bed in the middle of a panic attack

Jenny shot bolt upright in her bed in the middle of a panic attack. It was a couple of days after Kai's birthday. Alex stirred in her bed.

"Urgh, what-Jen?" Her sister closed her eyes and breathed in deeply, gaining control of herself again. She looked over at Alex.

"I'm sorry I woke you," she apologised quietly. "Bad dream."

"Jenny, how many times? I'm here 'cause I want to be, don't worry 'bout that." Jen smiled softly at that, even though she knew Alex couldn't see her in the dark.

"I'm gonna go get some hot chocolate," she got out of bed and went into the kitchen, where she found Lloyd. "Hey Lloyd. Can't sleep again?"

"Jenny?" he questioned.

"No," she replied bluntly, and started making her hot chocolate. "It's an axe murderer come to tell you it's time for sweet, sweet death."

"You look awful."

"Oh wow, Kai's clearly taught you how to charm a girl. Hot chocolate?"

"No thanks. Same dream tonight?" Jenny jumped up onto the table and sipped at her hot chocolate.

"Different one this time," she responded quietly. "Y'all were in it."

"What happened?"

"Started off the same way as the usual. Being chased by some indistinct person, runnin' out of breath. This time, I turned 'round and it was you guys. But you were.....evil, and Kai stabbed me. Alex wasn't there, she's too confusing for that."

"I'm sure she'd be happy to hear that," Lloyd replied lowly. "And don't worry. We've all been tested and we're not gonna go evil." Jen glanced over at him.

"You might not be evil. But what 'bout me?"

"You?"

"Pretty sure I'm not immune to temptation. Not sure I'd want anything though. Actually, maybe for Kai to not kill me. That shit is terrifying."

"Well, no one wants to be killed by anyone, especially not someone you know. Hey, you know, once I thought Kai had betrayed us to this guy who wanted to bring back the Anacondrai war. Turned out, he was just pretending to get close to him so he could grab the staff of elements and get our powers back." Jen nodded thoughtfully.