Chapter Forty-Seven

Forty-Seven

Lila

We stayed with the Frosted Fangs until we knew for sure that Nathan's property was safe. The Rebels territory had been destroyed, no longer were wolves roaming the area and scouting for us.

Most of them were dead; the lucky ones either escaped, or found themselves with a new pack, a family. The Frosted Fangs took in most of the collared prisoners, ones that were used the same way I was. They were welcomed with opened arms, and given a second chance even if they struggled to come to terms with their new reality.

Some of the newer rogues went with the Waya pack, where their rules were stricter, and their habits more critical, but they did their best to welcome them as well. Bishop was one of them, and I couldn't deny that I found myself irritated at the memory of him, but he hadn't hurt me, and for all I knew he was drugged like the rest of them. He deserved another chance just as much as everyone else.

What we worried about most was Skoll. He disappeared once everything died down, and as the bodies were taken care of, and the land stripped away, he was never found. It cast an uneasy feeling over everyone in the packs, but we did our best to focus on the people in front of us, and worry about him later.

Ryken, the doctor of the Rebels, now found himself working alongside Griffin. I didn't like the human, in fact I wanted to hate him for what he did to Nathan and the others, but he helped the shifters safely withdrawal, including Nathan. It seemed as long as he got a paycheck, he didn't care who he was working beside. Money meant more to him than ethics, and I kept an eye on him in the weeks I was in his presence because of that.

When Nathan took his first, wobbly step a month after the fight with the Rebels, we finally decided to go home. The land that the rogue's once lived on was transformed into a smaller, second variation of the Frosted Fangs territory. Griffin would visit and check on the pack, while they were close enough in distance to hear our howls if we needed them.

I made sure to read a list of the dead. Ten in total. One of the names was familiar to me. Alo. The young man I met when I was first introduced to the Frosted Fangs. My heart ached as I scanned the list until I memorized each name on it.

With the ten now gone, Griffin mourned with the rest of his pack, but celebrated weeks later when the prior prisoners of the Rebels were officially welcomed as family. There were eleven in total, consisting of; three male shifters, and eight female humans. Three of them were pregnant by the time they arrived. The youngest of the woman -who was early on in her pregnancy- was given the choice if she wanted to keep it. I remembered the way she broke down and held Griffin's hand when she realized she had finally had the choice to decide for her own body, and in the end she did what was best for herself regardless of how hard it was, and I was proud of her for it.

The other two were just as strong, because they decided to keep theirs. They had a close bond from what they went through together, and I saw a part of myself in them. I was too afraid to talk to them though, too afraid to hear about what they went through in case it reminded me too much of myself, but I knew in time, I'd speak to them when I was ready.

~

Back at the house, I couldn't take my eyes off Nathan. We just made it through the doors and I couldn't help but watch him walk through it with crutches assisting his every step. No matter how many times I apologized, I couldn't forgive myself for doing that to him. The other injuries had healed, but his leg never did, not completely. He had to go through physical therapy everyday, doing my best to remember what Ryken told me about what exercises he needed to do to make sure his leg stayed as strong as possible.