December 20, 1996

Dear Diary,

Nice to meet you!

Finally, I've decided to welcome you into my life today, so let me introduce myself first.

My name is Son Yejin. South Korean, fifteen in Korean age and currently residing in Suseong District, Daegu, South Korea. I am living with my eomma, appa, sister and samchon. I only have one sibling, our two year old baby girl, Kim Jisoo. I am proud to say that I was the one who named her even before she came out to this world. Hmmm... Are you wondering why she has a different last name? I'm sorry, but I won't tell you yet the reason why. I wanna leave you hanging for a bit! Hahahaha!

Anyway, I am still a freshman student at Daegu High School. Just a typical girl wearing a dark blue above the knee skirt, white short sleeve blouse in summer, white long sleeve in winter plus coat, white crew socks and black polished shoes with ribbon on each side. Err! Yes, yes I know they're not for teenagers anymore, but I still wear them since my appa bought these for me last summer.

My hair is in mid-back level, and I love it everytime eomma braids it in two parts, making me look like a sweet and innocent girl on our campus. I am thin, not really tall, I have fair skin, and crescent eye smiles.

My eomma was a teacher, but she stopped her profession when Jisoo came into our lives. Most of the time, she got sick so eomma really needs to give her full time and attention to our baby girl. Appa also wants it so she can take a break from teaching for the past thirty years, and can spend more time with us. Meanwhile, my appa is a cook in our little restaurant for five years together with my samchon, his one and only younger brother.

I am a silent person in our class. You know why? Because I'm not good at academics. Hahaha! But, I have friends so don't call me a loner or a loser, okay? You know, I even have a best friend! Well, everyone does, I think.

Speaking of the devil, we are best friends since we were three. Yes, we are the same age though I am eight months older than him, he treats me like his younger sister. Him, he... Yes, you read it right, diary! My best friend is a boy. He's my neighbor. Like, his house is just beside ours. We were always together in school, mealtime, any occasions and family gatherings since his mom and my mom were also best friends since college.

His name is Bin... Hyun Bin!

He's tall, has a sharp nose, a math and science quizzer, an athlete and a good best friend.

Since we were kids, he's always by my side. Everytime someone bullies me, he's always there to protect me. We didn't have the perfect best friends relationship like the others out there, but we cared for each other very much. I can even still remember during my seventh birthday at the beach when I almost drowned myself in the water, he swam like no end until he reached my hand. Though he is so tiny and quite fat at that time, he risked his life for me. Also, when his appa wants to bring him to the states so he can pursue his dream to be the best baseball player in the world, he turned down the offer the moment he knows that I cried the whole night in my room and didn't take a single meal for the whole day. He's the best partner I ever had!

But, that was before...

Indeed, the only constant thing in this world is change. Things have changed. Errr, oh my god! I'm quite tearing up!

Hmmm... Actually, diary... He's one of the reasons why I decided to open you after one year. For your reference, you were a gift to me last Christmas. I don't know who gave you to me. I just saw you in a pink box in front of our gate with my name written on it and I kept you in my drawer until today.

I need someone to talk to since I'm thinking that I need to start letting go of my best friend after twelve years. It looks like he doesn't have anymore time for me, or is it just many other people are slowly coming into our lives? Is it because we're getting mature and we don't need to be on each other's side anymore? But why do I feel so uneasy? It's making me sad, diary...

That's why I need you right now... I need someone to hear me without any judgment.

Oh! I didn't notice the time. It's already eleven in the evening... I need to sleep now since I have to wake up early tomorrow for our P.E class. Uhg! But, thank you so much, diary!

I really hope you'll listen to me until I can figure everything out.

Goodnight, diary. Talk to you next time!

Love,
Yejin