17: number one hero

Hawks threw his head back in laughter as Y/N flopped back onto the bed and pulled the covers over her head. 

"Kid--" He couldn't even finish his sentence he was laughing so hard. "Okay, I'm going to change."

Y/N was blushing like a madwoman under the sheets, not believing that she actually told Hawks how attractive she found him. She was tired from the long drive so the comfy bed lulled her to sleep quickly.

The bed bent at the weight of Hawks slipping onto the bed. Y/N turned so that they were face to face. There was a good deal of distance between them and from the large windows, the lights of the city dimly lit the room.

Neither one said anything, just drank in the sights that were before them. Hawks' messy blond hair was splayed on the pillow in the most perfect way that made Y/N want to run her fingers through it. His honey-colored eyes were luminous in the dim light.

"Are you nervous about tomorrow?" Y/N asked in a whisper, not knowing what else to say.

"No," He whispered back bashfully. "I'm gonna be fine. Just some sacrifices have to be made."

There was a small silence, Hawks' eyes studying Y/N. Her heart pounded against her collarbone. Even though there was space between them, this moment seemed like the most intimate moment Y/N had in years.

"Are you nervous about tomorrow?" He asked her softly.

"I know it's stupid because you're like the number one hero and all," Y/N didn't know why she was whispering to him, maybe because the thoughts would become real if she said them loud enough. "And I've seen you on action on the news, you can handle your own. I don't have a combat quirk, so maybe it's harder for me to imagine..."

"Number two," Hawks corrected softly, a small smile on his face.

"What?"

"You called me the number one hero. I'm the number two hero, kid."

Y/N swallowed smally before hesitantly replying. "You're the number one to me."

If Y/N had been in Hawks' mind, she would've known that at those very words he melted. His head turned to mush, butterflies in his stomach, and muscles in his body went slack. She couldn't see it in the dark, but even his wings fluttered.

With Allison, she hated that Hawks was a hero. Despised that what he wanted to do was just save as many people as he could, 24/7. 

Y/N was a breath of fresh air, he realized. She embraced his work, which was a part of his very being, and even adored what he did.

"I'm gonna be okay." Hawks whispered, reaching out slightly to take Y/N's hand in his. "Don't worry your pretty little head about it."

"Famous last words," Y/N mused, trying to cover her anxieties with humor. "But you'll be careful?"

"I'll be careful," He agreed. Hawks watched as Y/N eyelids started to droop. "Tired?"

"No," Y/N whispered back.

He chuckled lightly, watching as her eyes closed completely. "What are you going to do when I'm away? Just sit around and sulk about how much you miss me?"

Y/N hummed sarcastically. "Just watch some trashy reality TV, probably. Tik Tok is always a time consumer. I won't even notice that you're gone."

"I'm sure you won't." Hawks watched as Y/N started to fall asleep, still holding his hand. Well, Y/N's had her palm facing up and stretched out toward the hero slightly and Hawks placed his hand on hers, lightly tracing the lines of her palm.

She was so tired she didn't even notice the small intimate gesture.

"Goodnight, sunflower."

"Goodnight, Hawks."

a/n: yo! welcome to the end of the chapter again! thank you guys so much for the reads & votes! i mean, 700 reads is a lot and i'm really proud of how everything is going so far... so thank you!

don't forget to rest, drink water, and vote!