Chapter 19- Michael

“Dublin is a little different than what I remember,” Joshua said right after we landed. “Was there this much water before?” He squinted because the glare was so bright. It was bright outside but you couldn’t see the sun. One of those strange weather days. It was raining too.

“No. I suppose modern day scientists say that the weight of the island is sinking it more and more as the years go by. Very little of course. They usually measure every decade or so. As that happens, the water creeps up more and more on the island. Weighing it down more. Either way, we need to find the trains station.”

“Over there Michael.” Paul pointed to an entrance with people flowing in and out of it.

“Okay, remember the plan guys okay?”

They all nodded their heads. We started the long descent to the trains. We didn’t stop on any of the platforms. We headed for the secret room and descended more stairs. “I should have stunning legs after all these damn stairs,” said Paul.

“Not as beautiful as mine Paul,” said Thomas with a grin.

Then the third one butted in. “Look guys, I know I don’t need to butt into your miniscule argument but we all know I have the most stunning legs of all of us he-“ I had to interrupt the punk.

“Little cocky aren’t you there Joshua? We all know mine are the most gorgeous. Now stop bitching and let’s go.” We all laughed as we finally reached the end of our descent. The smell of mildew and stagnant water was edible in the air. There was almost no light anywhere, but we all could see perfectly.

“Holy shit!” We all looked to Paul, and saw him pressed up against the wall. His eyes were all bugged out. “There’s a few rats down here.” We all looked incredulously at him, and one by one started laughing until we were bent over in pain. When the tremors faded, we all got down to the task at hand. Finding this brat and taking her home. I’m going to tie her down to where she can never leave and nobody can take her. Then that’s when the gates appeared in front of us.

“Where are the dogs?” Joshua asked.

“They’re never directly out front. We also have to cross the river of souls. Anybody got any money?” I reached into my pockets, and just found a fifty dollar bill. Joshua pulled out a twenty, Paul pulled out a five, and Thomas pulled out a hundred. “Okay, so we have one seventy five. We should be fine.”

We walked to the edge of the lake and saw the hooded rower approaching. Every time he stoked, his boney hand was exposed. Creepy thing. When it arrived at the edge of the lake, it spoke into each of our minds.

Nongratisdareequitat. Mepetat.

Thomas was more familiar with languages so he responded.

Et operi pro vobis habemus daemonis. sumus omnes ad centum septuaginta quinque pupa procedit.” The demon looked like he was pondering, and slowly nodded his head. I handed him the money, and we all climbed aboard the boat.