False Gods

"Raven says the reactor's out. Something's malfunctioned, and she'll need Natblidas to fix it due to radiation levels."

  "How many?"

  "At least two to work on the reactor itself, then four more to do repairs on the burst coolant pipes."

  "We don't have that many Natblidas. How high are the radiation levels?"

  "High enough in the reactor that only a Natblida can endure, and with the coolant pipes....low enough that we can endure with a few days of sickness." Indra nodded.

  "We can take some volunteers then. Can you gather the workers up for me?" I questioned.

  "Of course, Heda." Indra nodded again before walking away.

  "Who do you plan on sending into the reactor?" Emori glanced at me while crossing her arms.

  "Whoever can do the job best. Just don't know who that is yet." I replied while lowering the papers in my hand.

  "....I'll do it."

  "What?" My brows rose a bit, not expecting her to volunteer.

  "I'll do it. On the ring, I was doing work like this already. If Raven is asking for help and needing Nightbloods already, the reactor may be close to breaking."

  "I'm gonna guess that's not good."

  "Think a huge explosion."

  "Great. Another one."

~

  "The work will be dangerous, but if the repairs are not made, the reactor will pose an even greater danger to everyone. We'll need at least 4 welders." I explained to the crowd in the field.

  "What do you mean by the work will be dangerous?" Someone spoke up, looking to be from the prisoner crew judging by their attire.

  "I won't lie, there is radiation leaking from the pipes. However, at the levels they are at now, it will only cause those working a few days of radiation sickness with no long-term damage if we get them fixed in time."

  "Why don't you do it if you've got the black blood?" Another one piped up, getting looks from Wonkru.

  "Simple. I don't know how to weld. Though, I won't send any of you in there without going myself. I'll be there to provide aid if anyone needs it."

  "Heda." Indra looked at me, and I waved her off.

  "Between medicine for radiation sickness, the decontamination showers, and your own metabolisms, any effects from exposure will be temporary. But, as I said, that only stands true if we can get this fixed soon. Now, do any of you volunteer?"

  "You say you yourself will go in there?"

  "I will. As a Natblida, I can deal with the radiation levels without issue to pull anyone out if need be. As Heda, it is also my responsibility to ensure the safety of my people."

  "And we're included in that?" The dirty blond man with his hair slicked back spoke up while narrowing his eyes at me. "You're saying you'd save me? If need be, that is."

  "So long as you are Wonkru, yes, I would." I replied, and he looked to be thinking.

  "All right. You got a welder." He stepped forward, and I glanced at Raven as she stood next to me.

  "What's his name again?" I muttered low to where only she could hear me.

  "Hatch. He seems to be the new top dog in their group."