The Children of Gabriel

"Pakstoka." Echo came up beside me with caution, and I barely glanced at her to acknowledge her presence. "I'm not exactly sure whether or not you still want to kill me, but I'm apparently the only one brave enough- or stupid enough- to tell you this. We have to shackle everyone until the eclipse passes. It's the only way we'll survive this."

  "I'll be fine out here if everyone is inside." I replied lowly.

  "It's not you that we're worried about."

  "We?"

  "Pakstoka, a locked door can't keep you out when the madness gets you. We'll all be chained to a wall and like fish in a barrel. You have to be chained, too. For our safety as well as your own." I shot her a look, and she shifted back a step. "It'll only be until the eclipse passes. Once it's over, you'll be free."

  "I'm not doing it."

  "You'll kill us all if you don't." Echo clenched her jaw. "You know the best of Azgeda's techniques as well as your own drive for survival. Not even I can stop you if it came down to it. The only people that even have the hope to are orbiting us. Please-"

  "I won't be locked up, Echo. I'll go out to the crop fields if I have to, but I will not be chained." I began to walk away, and Echo raised her voice to make sure I heard her.

  "If we all die, it will be your fault, Pakstoka." And her tone wasn't accusing, it was more matter-of-fact. Pausing, I then turned to look at her.

  "Where do your loyalties lie, Echo?"

  "What?"

  "If it came down to it, who would you follow? Your lover? Your king? Wanheda? Who? And be honest." She paused, her face going firm.

  "Bellamy." Echo swallowed, and I sighed before giving a soft smile that made her look very confused.

  "Maybe Roan was right. You are different. Come with me."

  "What?"

  "Come with me. I have an idea- A way to keep you all alive and me not trapped."

  "Where are we going?"

  "A tree."

  "A tree?"

  "We're going to climb it, and you're going to tranq me and leave me on a branch."

  "Are you sure you-"

  "Yes. We each have one, use mine on me then come back. Just don't tell anyone where I am."

  "And what if you wake up before the eclipse is over?"

  "Then I won't know where any of you are and it'll take me time to find you. Between the tranq and the hunting, the eclipse should be over before I find one of you."

  "You underestimate yourself."

  "And you overestimate me."

~

  Groaning as I came to, I felt groggy and sluggish still. Blinking to clear my vision, I could hear low voices whispering. My eyes snapped open, and I saw a group of children staring at me from the ground. I nearly fell from how fast I moved, and the kids quickly stepped back out of caution while gasping.

  Landing on my feet in the grass, I stared at the kids. They looked healthy and not a single one was dressed in rags. Not a single one was armed with any kind of weapon. Crouching down, I softly laughed while running my hand over my face.