His Sister's Keeper

"Viper!" I jolted at how unexpectedly loud his voice was. Looking up at Bellamy as he was peeking his head into my tent, his eyes were wide while he was looking around. "Where's Octavia?"

  "How should I know?" I looked back down at the stick I was sharpening with my knife, and the male made sure to keep his torch outside of my tent.

  "You two are always together."

  "No, she's always following me." I corrected him. "When was the last time you saw her?" I questioned and raised a brow when I heard no answer.

  "Look, Clarke is checking all of the tents, and I'm on my way to the dropship. Could you check-"

  "Yes." I sighed while rising to my feet. "Give me some time to fully check, though. The woods at night can be tricky."

  "Thank you." Bellamy gave me a look before pulling his head out of my tent. Pocketing the knife I picked off of the Grounder, I grabbed the sharpened stick and my pack before heading out. Walking through the camp, I debated on whether I should start my search to the right or the left.

  Standing before the exit of the camp, I took in a deep breath while looking out over the woods. Tightening my grip on the strap of my pack, I ventured out into the night. Having only the light of the moon and stars to guide me with the occasional patch of glowing plant life lighting my way, I silently stepped over dry branches and leaves that would crunch under my feet.

  I was no tracker, nor was I a hunter, but I happened to be the one that knew these woods the best with how much time I spent out here. Searching well into dawn, the sun was rising higher in the sky, and I had yet to find any sign of Octavia.

  Huffing, I was ready to turn back to check the other way, but I heard panting just before a body rolled out of the bushes. I nearly stabbed them with my sharpened stick, but then I noticed it was the exact person I was looking for.

  "Octavia!" I switched hands the stick was in and used my free hand to help her to her feet. She was dirty and bloody but seemed okay overall.

  "Viper!" She sounded relieved. "You have no idea how glad I am to see you!"

  "I can imagine." Pulling her up, I wrapped one of her arms over my shoulders to help her walk. "Come on, I came from this way." Quickly dragging her with me, I tried to hasten our return home. With her injured as badly as she was, and how I only knew how to throw a solid punch, I definitely did not want to get caught out here by any Grounders.

  Suddenly hearing a scream, our heads jerked up in the direction the sound came from.

  "I told Bellamy to give me some time." I growled through clenched teeth. "Come on-"

  "Aah!" Octavia let out a shout as she was ripped from my hold. Her screams were muffled as a hand covered her mouth, and all I saw was a Grounder holding her in one arm before he reached out to me. The Grounder grabbed my face and yanked me against his body as he hid behind a tree.

  Not but a second later, a girl from the camp came running past. She was running with fear in her legs and terror in her eyes just before she suddenly flew back into a tree with a spear sticking out from her chest. Octavia gasped as the Grounder held us in place.

  Slowly lowering his hands, he picked up Octavia and ran.

  "Hey!" I whisper-yelled, trying to keep quiet in case the other Grounder with the spear skills was close enough to hear. "Wait!" Running after them, I followed in his steps, being careful to place my feet in his tracks.