Day Trip

Yawning, I grabbed the cluster of berries and placed them into my pack. The air was beginning to nip at my skin as winter was coming closer, and the morning fog was clinging to the ground longer than it used to. Every now and then, I'd hear a bird, but it wasn't often due to the scarcity of animals out in the woods.

  A few groups would be sent out on good days to hunt for meat to store for the winter, but it was mostly nuts and berries that we were finding. Especially this one type of nut the others were finding all over the place, but I didn't collect any myself because of their strange smell.

  The sky was cloudy, it smelled as if another storm was coming, and I was hoping it was only rain this time around. Digging through the branches of the bush, I was plucking every good berry I could find. Sighing from boredom, I began to whistle a tune. Leaving the unripe berries on the bush, I moved on to the next one.

  My whistling cut off abruptly as I heard a bird's call coming from nearby. Looking up, I tilted my head to the side to listen. Tilting it to the other side, I heard the call again and smirked. Zipping up my pack, I tip-toed through the woods to find the bird. Just catching a mere glimpse of any sort of animal was enough to make my day.

  Carefully stepping past trees and brush, the bird was getting louder as I was getting closer. When I came upon a rather large tree, it sounded as if the bird was right above me or in a nearby tree, but the bird went quiet. Furrowing my brows, I tried to look up into the trees to find the bird. However, as I was rounding the tree, I jolted from the unexpected sight of what was hanging from a branch.

  Right there was a deer, strung up by its hind feet as it hung from a sturdy branch. Looking around, I saw nothing in the woods surrounding me and took a step closer to the deer. Sticking out of its side between some of its ribs was an arrow. Carefully reaching out my hand, I felt the tattered feathers on the end of the arrow and thought they somehow looked familiar.

  "That Grounder...." I muttered out loud while remembering the Grounder that had saved me. Placing my hand on the deer, I pulled out the arrow and used the tip to cut the deer down. It flopped to the ground limply, and I then got an idea. Opening up my pack, I pulled out a bundle of berries and tied them to the rope on the branch along with the arrow.

  Zipping up my pack, I put it back over my shoulder and grabbed the deer by its antlers. Checking my surroundings once more, I hoisted it up onto my good shoulder and grunted from its weight. Taking a deep breath, I bounced on my knees to readjust the deer before heading back toward the dropship.

  "Whoa, Viper! Bringing something back other than nuts and berries!" Bellamy was smiling from ear to ear as I walked into camp. Shooting him a small glare, I dropped the deer on the ground.

  "Don't expect it too often. I got lucky with this one." Taking off my pack, I unzipped it and dumped it into a container that would later be gone through. The torches were already lit around the camp because of how dark it was, so it took me a second to notice the state of the camp. "What happened?"

  "Remember those nuts those guys brought in? Well, they had hallucinogenic properties." Monty popped off as I zipped my pack back up. "Also, while everyone was high as a kite, the Grounder escaped."