Earth Kills

Waking up, I groaned while sitting up. My shoulder still hurt like no tomorrow, and the bed of moss I was sleeping on didn't help. Grunting as I tried to move my shoulder some, I could feel the stiffness, and it stung like a bitch. Rolling my eyes, I could only blame myself for thinking this blessing of being sent to Earth would come without consequences.

  Crossing my legs, I kept my injured arm straight to reduce movement. If it wasn't willing to do what I wanted, then I should just let it heal and try to not break the crappy stitches holding my shoulder closed.

  "Hey." My head jerked up as a woman stood in front of me. "Thanks." She looked down at me before glancing around and carefully taking a seat in front of me. Her right leg was injured and bandaged up with a piece of ripped cloth. She had long, dark hair and strangely looked a bit like Bellamy.

  "For what?" I questioned.

  "Saving my brother." She smiled. 'Huh, that explains the resemblance....'

  "Mm." I hummed while looking over the camp around the ship. People were already active and moving about, building tents and working on a wall around the surrounding area. "I only did it because losing people is a dangerous thing, especially out here with the Grounders to worry about."

  "I see." She nodded. "Well, thanks anyway. My name's Octavia." She held out her hand in a friendly manner and waited for me to shake it. As if being considerate, she held out her opposite hand so that I wouldn't have to use my bad arm to shake her hand.

  "Nice to meet you, Octavia." Shaking her hand to be polite, she raised her brows as if waiting for something.

  "Well, aren't you going to tell me your name?" She questioned.

  "No." I replied without hesitation.

  "....Then what am I supposed to call you?"

  "You don't." Staring right at her, she seemed slightly confused.

  "You can call her Viper." Murphy popped up seemingly from out of nowhere. "Don't let her looks fool you. She's cold-blooded and strikes without warning or mercy." He popped off while standing off to my right by at least a yard. Murphy had his hands stuffed into his jacket pockets as he was looking down at me.

  "Back off before I knock your teeth out." I practically snarled, causing him to flinch away.

~

  For three days, Jasper was groaning and wailing from the top of the ship while Clarke was trying everything to keep him alive. I, on the other hand, was getting antsy with how much time I had to spend in camp. Because I was injured, I forced myself to remain near the ship and all of the other people until I was at least healed enough to use both arms properly.

  Also, it seemed that the nickname Viper was spreading among the camp as more and more people began calling me that. Not really caring about it, I continued passing the time by walking around, resting, and occasionally joining the drummers while drumming with one hand.

  On the third day after finding Jasper, a strange yellow fog came rolling in, burning everyone's skin while causing them to cough as it burned their throats and lungs as well. Those that could make it ran for the ship, taking cover within its metallic walls. While everyone filled the bottom of the ship, I managed to climb to the top with Jasper

  Sure, his moaning and groaning were irritating, but he was in a lot of pain and near dead. Not to mention, a single person mostly remaining unconscious wasn't as annoying as all of those others loudly complaining and bitching about the current conditions of the camp.

  Jasper just kept tossing and turning while groaning, and I rolled my eyes while rising to my feet. Going over to where he was, I grabbed the cloth from the makeshift bowl of water and wrung it out. Folding it up, I wiped the beading sweat from his face and neck before dropping the cloth back into the water. Wringing it out once more, I folded it and placed it across his forehead to help with his fever.

  "How's he doing?" Looking over my shoulder, I saw Octavia climbing up the ladder while having a bit of trouble with her leg.

  "Dying." Was my short reply as I stood up and went back to my seat. She sighed while going to the boy's side to look him over while kneeling next to him. Her eyes lingered on the wound in the middle of his chest, and I leaned my head back to rest it on the wall. Jasper stopped tossing and turning as much, but his groaning had yet to cease.

  "Murphy's going to kill Jasper!" The man always worried about the injured boy shouted while quickly climbing the ladder. Octavia jumped to her feet as he was quickly closing the hatch. Murphy was trying to force his way in, but Octavia kicked him, knocking him down a rung to allow them to close the hatch all of the way. As they struggled to keep the annoying guy out, I remained where I sat while simply watching it play out

  "Thanks for the help!" Octavia sarcastically said while panting after shoving a pole into the handle of the hatch and the ladder.

  "I would've gotten up if he got in. Like Hell would I let him kill the guy I got attacked by an animal for." Looking right at the two of them, I tilted my head. "So, now that you have the hatch closed off, no one has to worry about another injured man."