Pilot

[Viper's theme: Hollow by Belle Mt.]

  Leaning against the wall while looking out of the round window in the small room, my cheek rested against the rim of the window

  Leaning against the wall while looking out of the round window in the small room, my cheek rested against the rim of the window. Sighing, I let my eyes wander over the stars outside. The grey walls surrounding me were covered in dark marks from the hours I spent drawing what I imagined the world might look like based on the books we were raised reading.

  My hands were usually dirty from my drawing, but I never really seemed to notice it as much as I used to in the beginning. Unlike most others also imprisoned, I had been locked up for far longer than any of them. However, that would soon change in a day or two due to the rule about prisoners 18 and older.

  Tilting my head to rest on my other cheek, I contemplated how I wanted to spend my last couple of days in this small cell. Should I continue to stargaze and catch glimpses of Earth? Or should I cover any empty spots on my walls and floor with drawings?

  Hearing the door open behind me, I jerked my head up to look. Were they not going to even wait a day?! Quickly getting to my feet, I pressed my back against the wall to stay as far from them as I could. Seeing the weapons brandished in their hands, I could feel my heart racing.

  "Prisoner 298, remain against the wall and hold out your arm." One of the guards ordered as another stepped forward with a box. When he opened the container in his arms, and the other went to reach inside the box, I shot for the open door. I managed to get past them by weaving under their arms and batons before breaking out of the room while sliding to a halt upon exit to run right.

  Sadly, that was as far as I got before a stun baton was jabbed into my lower back.

  Shaking as my joints all locked up, I fell to the metallic floor while feeling the shocks of electricity coursing through my body. The guard, that bastard, held the baton there until darkness came rushing in, and it seemed as if someone had flipped the off-switch in my brain.

~

  'I'm dead....' Was my first thought as I began to come to. 'Oh, geez, I am so dead!' There was a strange smell filling my nostrils, and I felt oddly warm. 'Wait, if I'm dead, why the Hell do I ache?' I raised a brow while feeling a dull throb in my shoulders and sternum. Peeking an eye open, I took in a sharp breath while shooting up.

  Trees. Sky. Clouds.

  What in the world was going on? Looking down, I saw that I was laying in a patch of tall grass and gasped while feeling it beneath my palms. Returning my gaze to the sky, I saw a slight breeze rustle through the trees, causing the leaves to shudder and fill the air with a gentle rustling sound.

  Feeling a smile pull at my lips, I rose to my feet and took in a deep breath through my nose. The smell of grass and various other scents greeted me, and I chuckled. If I was dead, how the Hell did I end up in Heaven?

  Turning around as I tried to look at everything, I saw that I was surrounded by trees and foliage in what looked like a forest. Throwing my arms out at my sides as I let my head fall back, I felt the warm sunlight hit my skin.

  "Hey! You shouldn't be up yet!" I heard someone shout from behind me. Turning on my heel, my smile immediately fell into a frown.

  A ship. A wrecked ship with a man walking out of it. Judging from the scene before me, I was indeed alive and actually on Earth. But why?

  The tall male with slicked back, dark brown nearly black hair, was stepping toward me with raised hands as if trying not to frighten me. It was as he was getting closer that I began to notice the other people around the crashed ship.

  Okay, so I really wasn't dead.

  "Look, I'm not sure how long you've been out, but you might want to ease yourself into everything. Okay?" He raised his eyebrows, and my eyes locked with his. He was wearing a guard's uniform, but I didn't see a baton in his possession. Taking a step back when it felt like he was too close, he then paused while standing just beyond the opened door of the ship.

  "Woah, easy there. I'm not gonna hurt you- I'm not a guard." The male pat one of his hands on his chest, catching on as to why I was so hesitant. "Seriously, you might want to just sit down for a second before you run off to enjoy yourself." He then chuckled.

  "No." I quickly said, causing him to change his expression for a brief second. "I'll remain standing. Explain what's going on. Now." My voice came out harsh, but my body language showed how wary I honestly was.

  "All right, then." He smirked. "The Ark sent about 100 of us down from the Sky Box to see if Earth is survivable." He shrugged. "So far, it is. I'm actually surprised you didn't wake up during the landing or anything. We had to cut you out of your seat to even bring you outside."

  "Survivable?" I mumbled while looking around again. Glancing back at the male, I narrowed my eyes, then bolted into the trees.

  "Don't go off too far!" He shouted after me, but I completely ignored him as I dodged past trees and filled my lungs with the freshest air I had ever breathed.

  I didn't even look back as I was running through the woods for hours. I'd laugh and chuckle while rolling in the grass or romping through beds of flowers. It wasn't until it began to rain that I ever calmed down, and I just laid on the ground, soaking up the rain as it hit my skin drop after drop. No matter what, it seemed, I was in Heaven.

  After the storm passed, I began to search for a place to rest before heading back to the ship with the others. Sure, I'd stay out here if I had the choice, but without the others, I'd never survive on my own. I didn't know much about Earth, and I knew nearly nothing about farming and food storage. I could, however, build a fire if I wanted, or put together scraps of metal to make simple things.

  Finding a cave suitable for me to stay in, I made sure nothing was already living there before I began to strip off my wet clothes. Laying them out on the floor of the cave, I kept my underwear on at least and plopped down a few feet from the entrance. Sniffing, I felt another smile pull at my lips while watching the forest glow before I headed to sleep.