Praimfaya

"Clarke, Bellamy, get down here!" Murphy called out as the rest of us were watching the large monitor showing an image of Polis. The wave of radiation was so visible as it swept into view, crashing into the tower and rolling over the city. Our image of it was cut off as the signal to that area was lost.

  "It's 210 miles from Polis to the island." Raven stated. "According to what was the last drone, the wave is accelerating. If we're not off the ground at least 20 minutes before it hits, the electromagnetic charge in the pyroclastic cloud will shut down the rocket's avionics, meaning it won't fly." She checked the device on the side of her suit. "Meaning that gives us 90 minutes to run a 6-hour preflight check, retrieve the oxygen generator from the lighthouse, turn a cockpit designed for two into one that can carry 10, and load the cargo hold with enough food to keep us from starving in space while we wait for the algae to bloom."

  "I thought you said it was gonna be hard." Murphy popped off.

  "That's not the hard part. Becca designed her rocket to dock with Polaris, not the ark. That means I have to pilot it into the hangar bay on the ring."

  "What's so hard about that?"

  "That's not the hard part, either."

  "What is the hard part, Raven?" Clarke looked at her.

  "Assuming we blast off in time, CO2 scrubbers in a two-person rocket won't support 10 of us."

  "So we use supplemental oxygen."

  "Our tanks only hold an hour of air." Monty stated.

  "Correct. We'll have one hour to get into orbit, land in the hangar bay, and fire up the life-support system using an oxygen generator built to supply a lighthouse bachelor pad."

  "You suck at talking people into things." Murphy told Raven. "You know that, right?"

  "Anyone here still need to be talked into this?" Bellamy questioned. Everyone shook their heads silently before he continued. "Good. Now we know the many ways we might die today, why don't you tell us what we have to do to live?" Typing on a keyboard, Raven began formulating the best plan to get us onto the Ark safely.

~

  Murphy and Monty went to retrieve the oxygen generator from the lighthouse bunker while the rest of us stocked and prepped the rocket. Carrying totes of food to the rocket, Roan was beside me with more totes.

  "Are you going to tell me what it's like up there?" The Azgeda man questioned.

  "You do realize the first hundred of us that came down were from prison, right?"

  "I've heard. But you'd still know."

  "Not really. The others got into the Sky Box during their early to late teens, so it'd be better to ask one of them." Roan stopped me by standing in my way. His brows were furrowed as he looked right at me, looking rather strange in the bright orange radiation suit.

  "How long were you if you can't even tell me what it's like?" Pausing as I bit my bottom lip, this was the first time Roan was actually asking about my past so directly. "Dia," He said lowly to where only I could hear him. "how long?"

  "....Since I was six, so around 13 years." Answering, his jaw clenched before he dropped his totes on top of mine. "Roan! Carry your own load!" I huffed under the weight before he took all of them. "Wait, what are you doing?"

  "You take a break. I'll handle this." And he carried them off to the rocket.

  "What's his deal?" Emori asked as she walked up with her arms crossed and gestured her head toward Roan.