Sanctum

"Can you see it? Is it beautiful? It is in my dreams. I hope we do better there. I hope your lives there will be as happy as mine has been. Be the good guys. May we meet again." Monty's message was being replayed for Raven, Murphy, Shaw, Emori, Echo, Abby, and Roan now that they, too, were awake. They held grief for Monty, but hope for the new world they could see through the window.

  "I know this is a lot to process. Take an hour and meet in the mess." Bellamy spoke from the back of the room. "We need to game this out."

  "Guys, we survived. Monty made sure of it." Clarke glanced across the faces in front of her.

  "Now we get our humanity back." Abby said lowly.

  "Some of us never lost it." Raven had a bitter edge to her voice before storming out of the room with Shaw following close on her heel.

~

  "This is disgusting." Roan set down his bowl of algae, and I raised my eyebrows.

  "It's all we got for now."

  "So what happened?"

  "What do you mean?"

  "Before I woke up." He glanced at the table where the others sat quietly eating, and his expression told me what he meant.

  "I'm pretty certain Clarke is still going to be a problem." My voice went quiet as I brought the bowl to my mouth. "Monty had Jordan wake me first to prevent Clarke from keeping me asleep or worse. Everything that was said and did before we went to cryo is still fresh on her mind."

  "What do you plan to do about it?" I was tempted to say 'kill her' and have the issue solved permanently, but doing so would only create more problems- most of which concerned Madi.

  "Okay, everyone." Bellamy stood up as Raven and Shaw finally came in and Jordan gave them their bowls of algae. "Listen up. Here's what we know. Eligius III was a colonizing mission. According to the file, the mothership went to 5 planets that met necessary conditions for life, dropping mission teams on each one. Monty picked Planet Alpha for us because it's the closest and probably the most like Earth."

  "Was there a 'probably'?" Murphy popped off.

  "We have to assume they couldn't know for sure until they got here. We can scan the atmosphere from the bridge."

  "Actually we can't. None of the equipment we used to monitor Earth is working." Jordan piped up. "I'm guessing it's interference from the ionosphere."

  "Bottom line is, we won't know if it's survivable until we get down there." Bellamy leaned back against the edge of a table.

  "Sounds familiar." Clarke mumbled.

  "What about radio signals? Anything from the ground that says the mission team survived?" Raven questioned.

  "No radio signals."

  "Likely also the ionosphere. There is an ultra-high-frequency ping on the radar, faint but-"

  "A rescue beacon. We used them on Eligius IV to-"

  "Great. If there's a beacon, that means someone's down there, right?" Emori asked while cutting off Shaw.

  "Not necessarily. They're solar, so-"

  "They can last forever. How long ago did Eligius III get here?"

  "Hard to tell since they never radioed back, but best estimate- 200 years, give or take." Jordan answered.