The Warriors Will

When I returned to the valley to speak to Diyoza again, it wasn't hard to tell what had happened in the span of a day- Diyoza was no longer in power. In fact, she was nowhere to be seen. This was just another problem we would have to deal with later.

  Going back deeper into the woods, I found Roan, and he already knew from my face that I didn't have good news.

  "We'll find Clarke, and then come back to deal with this." He said while looking back toward where the miners were.

  "She's had a day's head start, and we have no clue where she's headed."

  "She's on the run from Octavia. Clarke believes in the 'enemy of my enemy', she only has one place to go." Roan crossed his arms while shifting on his feet.

  "And she's coming here through the desert. She should be here soon, then. We need to cut her off."

  "There's only two of us and an entire desert, Dia."

  "We need Madi. We....We just have to think- What path would Clarke take?"

  "Clarke and the others only know of two paths to take to get here safely, I doubt she'd deviate from them. Too much of a risk."

  "I took that risk."

  "She's not you." Roan raised his eyebrows at me, and I nodded.

  "Then we split up. She's got the Rover, so she could get here any minute now."

  "And if she already is?"

  "....Check the cave. You know which one." Roan gave a sharp nod.

~

  "Viper." Clarke gasped my name as I stood in her path. My gaze drifted to Madi as she stood behind the blonde.

  "So the flame?"

  "I still have it." Madi stepped out from behind Clarke, and she grabbed her arm to stop her.

  "I'm not going to hurt her if that's what you think." I shot the blonde a look, and she hesitated before letting Madi's arm go.

  "Octavia wants her dead. You can't take her ba-"

  "Shut up, Clarke." My gaze went cold as I looked at her. "You've done enough harm. So blinded by your own ambitions and desires to even realize what's truly going on."

  "Excuse me, but I'm trying to stop all of this!"

  "No, Clarke. You're making it worse. We are the ones trying to stop the war."

  "No, you're not! You're in league with the Blodreina! She wants nothing more than-"

  "I swear if you don't stop talking, I will rip out your vocal cords." The blonde finally shut up, and I turned to Madi as she looked at me with a steady gaze. "Octavia never wanted this war. Octavia never wanted to be the Blodreina- she only did because I left her in charge of hundreds of people locked underground for 6 years. She's trying to do what's best for our survival and to keep the people together. Madi, the Triad has been working since the beginning to find alternatives to the war, and we finally have it."

  "What is it?"

  "Peace. Prosperity. We do as those before us did but better. We share the valley. Wonkru and the miners, and we share the power like the leaders of the clans."

  "But you need a Heda." Madi stated, and I nodded.

  "I am not a true Heda, I am not a born Natblida. You are, Madi. I know this is asking a lot of you, but I hope you do what's best for our survival. We need you to return and complete the ascension ritual so that the people accept you as the new Heda."