The Struggles Ahead

"Pakstoka." Indra kept her gun raised as her eyes darted to the Sanctum guards flanking me.

  "Indra." I nodded to her while stepping into the hall. It looked like more warriors had been woken from their cryopods as they filled the space surrounding the door. Niylah shifted on her feet, both confused and concerned with the current situation. "I assume Abby and Raven filled you in on some things when they were here last?"

  "They did."

  "Good." I sighed. "Things have changed. The people of Sanctum have agreed to help us make a home on this planet." Their eyes went wide as they looked at each other. "I need 15 farmers to come back down with me to start building."

  "Of course." Indra lowered her weapon, the others following her lead with only some hesitation. "Who?"

  "Whoever is reliable." I stepped closer while placing a hand on her shoulder and lowered my voice. "I need people who will listen to what I say. Madi is currently dealing with Sheidheda, so I've become Heda again." Indra's jaw clenched, and I lightly squeezed my hand. "Gaia's doing the best she can to help her, but I need you to work with me to get this done."

  "I understand." She replied with a nod. We may be Wonkru now, but that didn't mean there wasn't political division among our people. Opinions and views differed, so of course, there were those that would only follow Madi and no one else so long as she was alive. "Come, we will get you your farmers."

  "Thank you." I felt relief as she led the way to the cryopods. The Sanctum guard followed, staying on my heels to make sure anything that happened could be relayed back to Russell.

  "How long will it take?"

  "From their predictions, not long. Some homes and a barrier are the first things being constructed, then a bunker and fields to farm."

  "....I do not wish to question your plans," Indra's tone shifted, fixing her words to show respect to my status as Heda. "but how will we eat until the fields yield?" She asked as we went past the many sleeping people in the frosted pods.

  "I have made a Blood Oath with their leader to have open trade between compounds. They will provide food while we provide temporary protection and hand-made goods."

  "We didn't bring any with us." She lowered her voice, and I waved my hand.

  "There's plenty of material on the planet to work with. We should have enough people that know how to weave and do pottery at the least. Those with the skills to make clothes know how to make dyes, too, right?"

  "On Earth, yes. I'm not sure about here."

  "We'll be given education on the planet's flora and fauna and biomes, so it won't be hard to learn what to safely make dyes from."

  "How is....How is Octavia?" Indra looked at me with an expression I hadn't seen her make before.

  "Better. She seems to be doing....good? In a way." Relief washed over the woman's eyes. "Also, there's something I need you to do after I leave."

  "What is it?"

  "Tell the people how good the planet is. I want them to know there's plenty that doesn't have to be fought for. The soil is fertile, the air so clean- there are even animals from our world thriving here. The children will have a school, even." A smile ghosted onto my face. "There's so many beautiful things down there."

  "That all sounds....wonderful."

  "It is."

  "What made them agree to this? If you don't mind my asking."

  "I threatened to kill them. We all preferred the peaceful route."

  "We, too, prefer the peaceful way. But if need be-"

  "I've got it handled, Indra. I just need you to focus on preparing our people for the transition to come. If Sheidheda is not dealt with soon....it is possible I may still be Heda."

  "....I saw him once- Sheidheda." The woman stated as she stopped in front of a pod and started the protocol to wake the person inside. "I was only a girl when he took Trikru. He went from village to village, butchering anyone who refused to kneel, their families, too. We cannot let that creature command Wonkru."

  "I know." I took in a deep breath. "Gaia herself has sworn to make sure it never comes to that."

  "And Clarke?" Indra rose her eyebrows, moving on to the next pod as the first was slowly waking up.

  "I'll deal with her if she tries to intervene. There's also a chance to completely rid the flame of Sheidheda." I placed my hands on my hips. The Sanctum guards were keeping an eye on Indra and I since we had been speaking in Trigedasleng to keep the extra ears from listening in on our problems. "If Raven can manage it, future Hedas wouldn't even have to worry about Sheidheda returning."

  "Then I pray for that outcome."

  "Indra....I want you to be honest with me." My tone made her look at me. "If Madi doesn't come back....will Wonkru follow me?"

  "Yes." Her expression was serious. "Your time spent as a member of the Triad only validated your win at the conclave despite you sparing Roan. Many thought it was a sign of weakness, or that you didn't truly win, but what you did for us....for Blodreina....it was only proof of you being a true leader even if not a true Natblida. And if that weren't so, Roan is the next highest official as former King, and you are mother to the prince, so either way, you would be the leader to Wonkru."

  "Thank you for your honesty."

  "If I may add," Her tone softened. "I trust you to do what's right for our people. You may be a lone wolf, Pakstoka, but you seem to be born to lead."

~

  "I've had a few volunteers willing to go to your compound to learn the language and culture as well as teach you ours." Russell explained while walking beside me. "Everything is going rather smoothly, wouldn't you say?" He smiled, and I returned the gesture.

  "Just send them my way, and we can discuss the logistics." I said before stopping in front of a door. "Now, I have a few things I must tend to with my people."

  "Of course. I hope the newcomers are adjusting well." He nodded before continuing on down the hallway. Opening the door, I entered the large room.

  "How's Madi?" I questioned.

  "Still fighting. Raven has Becca's book now, but it's still proving difficult to pin Sheidheda down. It....It looks like if Sheidheda can't be singled out, the Flame will be destroyed."

  "Is that what's taking so long?"

  "It's a big decision to make." Echo looked at me with tired eyes. What exactly had I missed in the short time it took to get the farmers?

  "Has she gotten that bad?"

  "Let's just say that it's looking to be like you'll be Heda indefinitely, Pakstoka. Even if Madi survives Sheidheda, it's going to take time for her to recover. He's doing whatever he can to keep control, even if it is at Madi's expense."

  "Fuck." I sighed while running my hand through my hair. "Clarke hasn't been trying to lash out, has she?"

  "Not yet. She won't leave Madi's side."

  "Where's Roan and Enan?"

  "He's putting the kid to bed." Echo explained. "It's been a long day."

  "Thanks for letting me know. Why don't you also head on to bed, now? It's late."

  "That where you're going, Heda?" Echo chuckled, and I nodded. "I think I'll go out with the farmers. Make sure they're doing okay."

  "All right."