Echoes

(Two chapters in one day because the last one was so frickin' short)

  Gasping as I shot up, I felt disorientated and dizzy. Groaning as I grabbed my head, I tried to figure out where I was since I was no longer outside. Stumbling to my feet, I swayed back and forth while trying to remain steady.

  "Pakstoka, you must rest." I felt hands on my shoulders and instinctively pushed the person back. "Please, you've lost a lot of blood. Sit down." Trying to focus my eyes, I saw who was in front of me.

  "Echo?" I questioned. "What are you doing here?"

  "That doesn't matter at the moment. We need you to calm yourself so that you can quickly return to action."

  "What happened? What's going on?" I looked around and saw more Azgeda people scattered about the room.

  "You proved your worth." She simply said while forcing me to sit down this time. "Now if you don't stop, I will have to dishonor the King's alliance with you and make you calm down."

  "Wait," Grabbing her hands as she pushed me to lie down, I hazily looked into her eyes. "what about Roan?"

  "'King' Roan is fine." Echo replied. "Once you regain strength, I'll allow you to roam freely. Until then, stay here." And my eyelids were growing heavier as she held me down so that I wouldn't stand again. "Rest, Pakstoka." Her voice sounded softer that time as I fell back into a deep sleep.

~

  "Viper?! Viper! Oh, my God, you're alive!" I felt hands gently touching my face as I groaned.

  "Octavia?" Opening my eyes again, the woman was hovering over me while smiling.

  "What happened to you? Clarke said you vanished before she went into the City of Light."

  "I didn't vanish." Grunting as I sat up, I felt sore all over and stinging at every cut. "Where are we?"

  "The Azgeda embassy. Come on, we have to go." She helped me to my feet, and I saw Clarke and the other blonde woman from before heading for the door as there was banging on the entryways. In the center of the room, Roan was laid out on a table, covered in blood-stained gauze.

  Octavia hurried to the others to protect them as the Azgeda warriors broke in, and I wobbly walked over to the table. I overheard Clarke saying that they saved the king and that it was up to him now if he woke or not. Furrowing my brows as I looked down at the big guy, I clicked my tongue.

  "Roan, if you don't get your fat ass up, I'm going to punch you in the throat."

  "For my queen!" Echo shouted in Trigedasleng while raising her sword. Looking up, I gripped the edge of the table.

  "Wait!" Someone stopped everyone in their tracks before he began to cough.

  "What timing...." I popped off as Roan shot me a look now that I was looking back at him. He sat up while holding the bullet wound on his chest as he glanced over at Octavia and the rest.

  "My king." Echo lowered her weapon while bowing her head.

  "Roan, help us. Tell them we're friends." Clarke looked at him with pleading eyes. Roan continued to cough as he rolled off of the table before standing on his feet that didn't seem so sturdy.

  "You shouldn't try to stand so soon." The blonde next to Clarke stated. Roan leaned on the edge of a stand holding a small fire as he spoke in a raspy voice.

  "Where is Ontari?"

  "Dead, Sire. Killed by them." Echo replied while glancing at Clarke.

  "We couldn't save her, but we did what we came here to do. Now I need you to honor your promise to protect my people."