The Chosen

The marrow grafted, making Roan impervious to the rain. However, as we were waiting for the king to produce black blood, radiation levels outside had risen exponentially, trapping us in the lab. But since we were there, Raven put us to work as she tried to get Alie completely out of her head.

  Her plan was even crazier than mine during the conclave when I faked Roan's death and had him escape through the drainage system. Even so, the genius woman knew what she was doing and it worked. After radioing in that she was fine, Abby was on the other end, talking to her.

  "Hang in there, we're sending a team to get you today."

  "You're sure about this?"

  "Yes. We need you not just for the hundreds of things we know you can fix, but for the thousands that we haven't even thought of yet."

  "Thank you, Abby."

  "I'm just glad you're all right."

  "You'll be, too. My brain is healing. The seizures have stopped. When I get there, we use the same procedure on you. You'll be cured." Raven spoke into the radio.

  "We can talk about that when you get here. But you know I have to ask, why are we sending three suits?" Abby questioned.

  "Because Viper's here with Roan."

  "That's impossible." There was disbelief in the woman's voice. "Roan's dead." Raven then looked at us with wide eyes, probably thinking that she was still seeing things because of Alie. The king shook his head while taking the radio.

  "Think again." He stated while looking at me. "Pakstoka won't even let death harm the ones she is loyal to."

  "Oh, my God." Abby then chuckled. "Who would have thought such a cold girl has such a warm heart."

  "What?" I said with furrowed brows while looking at the radio due to what Clarke's mother had said.

  "Octavia said Viper had to pick something up from Becca's island, but I assumed she was talking about Raven, not a supposedly dead king." There was a pause. "I have to go, we're situating people in the bunker." When the radio went quiet, Raven then turned in her chair to look at the both of us. Her arms were crossed as she was giving Roan and me a calculating look.

  "So....that time in Azgeda got you more than a loyal alliance, huh?"

  "What do you mean?" Roan questioned while crossing his arms and shifting on his feet.

  "I saw you two holding hands earlier." She pointed. "Plus, I see how you look at each other." I felt my cheeks turning pink as she continued. "I'm a genius, remember, I can tell even if you're trying to hide it." Clearing my throat, I shifted on my feet while crossing my arms.

  "Well, I guess with Praimfaya coming, it doesn't really matter who finds out." Roan popped off before picking me up and tossing me over his shoulder. "Come on, we've got time before the rescue team arrives. It's going to be hard to find some quiet time for the next five years."

  "Roan! Put me down!"

  "Seriously, guys? Try to keep it down." Raven rolled her eyes as Roan took me up the stairs.

~
  "Where's Viper?" I heard Clarke's voice as I exited the office.

  "Over here." I cleared my throat while straightening my jacket.

  "We won't be able to make it back to the bunker, but we have another plan." The blonde looked at me, her skin rather pale and it was dark under her eyes. The only way I could think of how she got that sick looking was that she got exposed to the radiation.

  "What is it?" Roan asked as he came up behind me.

  "Roan?!"

  "You're supposed to be dead."

  "How did....?" Some of them said as all of them looked confused.

  "You have Pakstoka to thank." He stated while standing next to me.

  "Hey, if an alliance with Viper helps you cheat death, why aren't we all doing it?" Murphy popped off.

  "Wow, did you run out of snake-related comments?" I questioned.

  "Nah, just kind of surprised by the fact the previously dead king is standing right there looking rather lively. I'll get back to the snake jokes once I'm out of shock."

  "But the scout saw Viper kill you, and your blood was on the sigil, how are you alive?" Bellamy questioned, more than likely getting the details of the conclave's end from his sister. Smirking, Roan raised one of his hands that had a cut on it.

  "Pakstoka is quite the crafty one, isn't she?"

  "So, the plan?" I rose a brow.

  "Space, but we don't have enough fuel to get down." Raven answered.

  "Sounds like a 5-year problem to me." A woman popped off.

  "How do we live?" I asked, crossing my arms.

  "They left a water reclamator there, and we know that Go-Sci has an algae farm. We just get those two things up and running, and we have food and water." Clarke replied.

  "Algae salads and recycled urine. Sign me up." Murphy said with heavy sarcasm.

  "Better than dying." Emori stated.

  "Yeah. You say that now."

  "All right. Slow down. Breathing's important, too. What's the plan for oxygen?" Raven looked to the others.

  "Based on what Murphy says about the lighthouse bunker, I'm guessing- make that praying- there's an oxygenator there." Monty waved his hand. "We take it with us. You hook it up. Bob's your uncle."

  "You're an engineer, Monty. You do know there's about a thousand things wrong with that plan, right?" Raven looked at him.

  "Yes, and every one of them kills us." He nodded. "Of course, staying here will kill us, too, so...." He trailed off.

  "Raven, we need you to get us off the ground before the death wave hits. What do you say? Can you do it?" Bellamy asked.

  "What do I say?" Raven looked from the monitor to the rocket. "I say that death wave can kiss my ass."

  "Good." Clarke nodded. "It's settled, then. We're going back to the Ark."

  "Wait, what about Octavia? Is she in the bunker?" I asked, looking at Bellamy.

  "In it?" Murphy popped off. "She's running it. Since you left her in charge, she became Commander to the Grounders."

  "Good." I smirked.