Recovery

"Keep 'em closed!"

    Daniel chuckled and closed his eyes again, resting his hands on his chest, little kitties popping out between his fingers on his cute little hospital gown. It gave me an idea.

    I ran my finger along his stomach in a circle, then put too little triangles on top of the circle. I poked two dots in the circle, making Daniel laugh out, and finished with a little sideways three at the bottom.

    "Okay, what did I draw?"

    Daniel smiled, his eyes still closed. "Hmm... I think it was a... cat!"

    "Yes!" I cheered, high-fiving him as he opened his eyes.

    "You are quite the artist." Daniel chuckled again, running his hand down my cheek.

    I touched his hand gingerly with my own. "Thank you."

    The silence was deafening for a moment before he cleared his throat. "They're letting me out of this hell hole today. The food is good and all, but I'm ready for some sleep in my own bed."

    I smiled and drew patterns on his stomach. "I know. I just can't wait until we can hang out outside of this place."

    I heard the clattering of heels outside the door, and a woman with blonde hair appeared at the door. Her eyes, when she wasn't wearing sunglasses, were as blue as the ocean, and she carried herself so gracefully.

    "Oh goodness, hello Aubrey!" She chirped as she walked in. She held her hand out limply in a weirdly feminine handshake, and I took it.

    "Hello, Mrs. Kusso." I said quietly. As snooty as his mother seemed, she was actually a very kind woman.

    "Hey mom." Daniel smiled as she leaned down, planting a kiss on his forehead.

    "The Caretaker is at the house waiting for us to get home, and the car is ready for you and Aubrey." She cooed, pulling off her gloves and stuffing them delicately into her purse.

    Daniel's face turned red as he chuckled. "Mom, I told you. I don't need a caretaker."

    "It's only for a week, just until the doctor clears you off of bed rest." Mrs. Kusso insisted. "You bled internally! It wasn't like you scraped your elbow, you need to take it easy. Can't believe that nasty monster, attacking my poor, innocent boy." She touched his cheek lovingly.

    I cleared my throat. "Well, evil is evil. They don't care who they hurt, as long as they are hurting somebody."

    Daniel took his mom's hand. "Don't worry, mom. I gave that thing a run for its money."

    Mrs. Kusso huffed. "I guess I should thank that Casey boy for teaching you  how to defend yourself. It can't hurt with the way these creatures are attacking innocent people lately."

    I swallowed, and a knock at the door saved me from anxiousness. I looked up to see a woman with dark skin and hair wearing a white lab coat standing at the door, smiling calmly. "Hello, Daniel. Aubrey, Mrs. Kusso." She nodded over at us.

    "Hi, Dr. Liza." Daniel sat up slowly. "You coming to get me out of here?"

    Dr. Lisa smirked and nodded. "I just wanted to give you one last look over before we set you free. Mrs. Kusso, Aubrey, would you wait in the hallway for just a moment?"

    We both nodded in turn and walked out, standing against the wall facing the now closed door. Everything was quiet, except for the bustling hospital around us.