Animal Spirit - Part 1

"Is there a reason that I'm..." I turned my head to gag as I wrung out the cloth in my hand. "Washing Rj's Yoga Mat?"

    It had been a few days since the big battle with everybody had come about. Rj had bought the property adjacent from Hayley's Cyber Space, since the city spots were a bit too expensive. Casey had spent most of the morning helping Rj move some stuff into the apartment that he would need for his short few week stay.

    Casey smiled from across the room, where he was sitting in a hammock. "This is how I learned some of the moves I know."

    "You learned how to kick butt... by doing Rj's chores?" I lifted an eyebrow.

    "Yeah, I thought the same thing. Why don't you take a break?"

    I draped the yoga mat over the edge of the bucket, wiping my hands on the front of my white shirt. It was already dirty from cleaning anyways.

    "Was the chair fixing part of the training too?"

    He shrugged. "Yes... and no. Rj's chair messes up everytime we move it two inches and he gets cranky when he can't sit in it. Seriously, it's pretty ugly."

    I laughed. "Okay, okay. Well, a happy boss is better than a cranky boss."

    Casey chuckled and stood up, my water bottle in hand. "Here. I do want to do some actual normal training with you."

    "I kinda wanna change first." I laughed, taking a sip of my water. "I feel dirty."

    He tossed me my bag, where I had a few changes of clothes ready to go, and I walked to the bathroom. For an apartment, this place was cozy. It had all the appliances a person could ask for - though it wasn't necessary since there was a kitchen full of food downstairs -, a full bath, two bedrooms that weren't totally tiny. This place was basically perfect. Once Rj moved out I would be getting his room. Rj said that if we both worked a certain amount of hours every week, rent wouldn't be necessary, so that was a plus.

    As I walked out of the bathroom, now changed into white leggings and shirt, Rj was talking to Casey rather animatedly, making gestures with his hands as he talked. Rj smiled as he noticed me walk out.

    "Ah, so both Rangers are here. Perfect." He smiled, waving his hands like a half circle. "Casey was just telling me about your training. Thank you for fixing my chair."

    I rolled my eyes. "Well, Casey said that it would help me catch punches or something. Besides, it's the least I can do since you gave me the job."

    "Well, he should have done an evaluation on your skills first... let's see what you've got."

    Rj's punch was fast, but my reaction was faster. I met his fist with a swing of my arm and countered with my own punch. He caught it and twisted my left arm back, making me off balance. He dropped my arm and tried to sweep my leg, where I back flipped in response. I caught his fist as he punched, pulling it back and twisting. I brought my foot up with a hook kick to the chest, which he slid back on the floor. Casey jumped out of the way just as Rj slid to a stop.

    "Excellent." Rj laughed, rubbing his wrist where I had twisted it. "You catch on quick."

    I thought back for a second and realized I had repeated the screwdriver motion. I looked back at Casey as I rubbed my now sore bicep, and he gave me the "I know, right?" look.

    "Rj, I gotta tell ya... you work in mysterious ways. You're also seriously strong." I tried to stretch my arm.

    "Well remember, your enemy doesn't care if you're injured, they'll take the cheap shot..." He ran forward again, going for the sweep. I flipped again, jumping a little short. I put my arms down instinctively to complete the rotation with a handstand, but my sore arm gave out as I landed, and I crumbled.