Emerald Fire

"Answer me, Melhorn!" I shouted. "Why are you here?!"

    "Would you actually listen to me for a second and I'll tell you?" Melhorn huffed, his tone seemingly sincere and maybe even fearful.

    I looked up at Daniel. He looked at me, then looked away. He didn't want to make any decisions.

    "Fine. Explain."

    Melhorn shifted. "Do you remember a man named Mason? You gave him a $100 bill with a note taped on it about 6 years ago."

    I clicked through my memory until I saw the face of a young man, dirty with grime and mud. I remember watching him for a few weeks and saving up my allowance and whatever pocket change I could find. A lady at the bank helped me count it and gave me 100 dollars for all the change I had given her.

    "What did you do to him!" I shouted, jabbing my Dragosword into his shoulder enough to make him squirm.

    "I am him!" He shouted. "I'm Mason Kindly!"

    I shook my head. "Mason looks nothing like you."

    "Please take care to remember that I can shape-shift!" He huffed. His face suddenly changed, and I dropped my sword. It looked just like Mason.

    "T-this is a trick!" I covered the mouth of my mask and fell to a knee. "M-Mason would never..."

    "No, I wouldn't. I'm barely in control now, but I know everything that Melhorn has done."

    I cut loose his arm testraints and I tapped my morpher. "Power Down..."

    Mason sat up gently, then wrapped his arms around me. I watched Daniel stiffen, but he relaxed as I hugged him back.

    "I can't believe it's you." I said as we pulled away. "I-I haven't seen you since I gave you that note. You haven't aged a day."

    "Speak for yourself. I remember this little girl with two braids, walking up to me with not even a single inkling of fear." He wiped his eyes. "I was afraid I'd never see you again.

    "I never saw you on that street again..." I whispered. "I figured you had finally found some luck."

    "I did, until I put your gift in the bank to save. It had been my lucky charm. That's when Mesogog got me."

    I laughed. "You thought that highly of my gift?"

    He nodded at me and fiddled with a pocket on the inner lining of his suit. "I always kept the note in my suit, but I'm surprised Melhorn never tried to take it out while he was in control."

    As he had said, in his hand was the note I had written for him when I was 13. I gently took it from him and unfolded the note. My name was worn, but all the words were still the same. I hated the way I used to wrote my i's.

    "I can't believe you kept this..." I said quietly, handing it back to him. He took it gratefully and put it back in his suit.

    "If it wasn't for that note, I would have gone insane."

    I looked him over and sighed. "How long do you have control over him for?"

    "It depends on how long he needs to rest. He has been exhausted lately."

    Daniel stepped forward. "Dr. Oliver was telling me about everything that had happened before. Can't we separate you from Melhorn like Mesogog separated himself from Dr. Mercer?"

    I looked at Mason hopefully, but he shook his head. "It's different. The way our minds are connected makes it impossible to separate us without killing us both."